had to have a biopsy on the second visit

7 weeks ago i found a hard pea size lump by the end of the nipple and went to the doctors who referred me. I had a mammogram and ultrasound. The radiorapher said there was hormonal lumps and the lump I had was known as fat necrosis though I dont recall receiving any trauma to that area. He asked for a follow up last week, dont know why. He asked for another ultrasound and it was the same radiographer. He didnt mention the fat necrosis this time just asked me where my area of concern was. He then could see the lump and kept referring to his last scan and previous notes. He said it didnt appear sinister but wanted to do a core biopsy as it doesnt always show on an ultrasound, is this correct? Why wasnt this done first time

The consultant was surprised to see me back and said not to worry as it most proabaly wasnt anything but they needed to identify what it was. Any one else had this type of problem/concern. thanks x 

Hi ajb1303,

Thank you for sharing your story and I’m sure other users will be along to share their experiences. I’d advise you not to worry as it seems they just want to be sure, but if it helps feel free to post on our Ask the Nurse board or call our helpline on 0808 800 6000, who will be able to talk you through any questions you have and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below:

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday, 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Bonita 

Hi,

I’d try not to worry. It’s always best to be sure what that lump really is. Although fat necrosis is a benign condition, it helps to get a biopsy esp because you can’t remember any injury or trauma to that area. Crossing my fingers that you get negative results on your biopsy. :slight_smile: