Hair cut before chemo

I am about to start chemo and am thinking ahead about having hair loss. I currently have long and thick wavy hair at the moment and was considering having it cut short so that I can get used to having less hair and it not be so much of a shock. Is this something anyone else has done before? Or am I being overly cautious and should just wait and see if I actually get hair loss first?

3 Likes

I think it’s a really personal decision - I had long hair and cut mine about a week after I started chemo as I felt it would be too upsetting if my long hair started to fall out. I had it cut very short and then shaved it about 2/3 weeks later as it was coming out in clumps and leaving bald patches. If you haven’t already, I’d recommend searching for and joining September 2024 chemo starters group - there’s one for every month. You can get to know and chat to others at the same treatment stage x

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @footie18 .As @rrey mentioned you will get lots of support and advice during chemo if you join the September chemo starters thread .

3 Likes

Hi @footie18

Hmm, it’s a tough question. I had a similar dilemma before I started chemo, and decided to leave it long, cold cap and see how I got on. 3 weeks after my first chemo quite a bit started to come out in the shower and I found long hair coming out (even though it was by no means all) wholly impractical as it blocked up the shower drain and it annoyed me, so I got it cut short then (which I loved and decided to keep it short!) You will have days in chemo when you feel quite well so you will have windows when you can get out to the hairdresser if you wanted to when you’re going through chemo. Another issue I found was that my scalp hurt even though I cold capped and the only way I could stop it was to get the weight off my scalp with a short hair cut, but everyone has different side effects so that may not be an issue for you.

2 Likes

Thank you @emmeline1. I was hoping to get it cut before I even start chemotherapy. I would freak I think if I had large chunks coming off in the shower and I completely get the non practical element of it clogging the plug! :woman_facepalming: I think having a hair cut before might actually make me feel nice as well. Had my pic line fitted today and it’s made me feel down already. Struggling to not lift things, it hurts to touch, fold my arms etc. I know it is day one and it’s bound to feel odd but I know if I try and do something nice for myself I will feel better. X

2 Likes

Yes, it’s nice to do something normal in the midst of preparing for chemo. If you cold cap though it’s more of an overall shedding than losing chunks.

Sorry off topic I know but the picc line malarky does get better once you’re arm has recovered, in a couple of weeks you will be able to use it as normal although don’t do what I did and do loads of heavy gardening which made my picc line leak when they tried to give me saline :joy:

2 Likes

:heart:do think about donating your hair to little princes trust too :heart: lots of us have over the years before starting chemo :heart::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

My hair was long and I’ve had it chopped to collarbone length. I’m going to try cold capping but already know that if I get lots of patches I’ll end up shaving it :grimacing:

Hi -

I had mine cut to shoulder length the day of my first chemo. 8 weekly treatments later (am cold capping) and I still have all my hair . So I would say don’t rush into anything especially if you are going to try cold capping.
I do actually prefer my shoulder length hair now than the longer length it used to be!

Xxx

Hi @footie18. I had long hair before my chemo started. I am having EC then docetaxal. My oncologist said with EC, your hair starts to shed around 14 to 18 days into first cycle. I chose not to cold cap as I’m an all or nothing person when it comes to hair. 8 days into 1st cycle, my hairdresser friend came over and we bunched up my hair, cut the little ponytails off, and sent them to Little Princesses charity. Then i had a buzz cut on grade 3. For me this was my way of keeping control. My kids even helped cut it. I am do glad I saved my hair for a child to have a wig made. I also felt quite liberated by the shaved head. I’m now 13 days past 1st chemo and it is starting to shed, but at least i am now used to my hats, scarves and wig. I totally get why you want to prepare by cutting your hair. Check first that your type of chemo does cause hair loss.

Good luck with your chemo. For me, so far, cycle one has been ok.
Xx