Hair loss

Hi everyone

I haven’t posted on here for ages but regularly look in to read post which makes me feel I am not alone in this. Thank you.

I have just had results of a recent scan and mets in my bones are stable which is a relief and I know I am ‘lucky’. However just when I thought I can move on and get on with things until my next scan I have now discovered my hair is thinning. I have spoken to a Macmillan nurse today who has said it sounds like it is more to do with stress than the treatment I am on. I have always thought I have coped so well with this and done as much as I can to get on with my life despite SBC but now this is another thing to deal with.

I am trying to keep calm about it but keep thinking it’ll all fall out and I can’t go into work next week. I did lose my hair years ago through chemo. 

Has anyone else got patchy hair thinning and if so do you know what helps? I feel in a vicious circle as it’s stressing me but stress is causing it. I just want to move on.

Sorry, enough about me, thank you for your posts I have learnt a lot from this site. Best wishes to you all.xxx

Hi Coolgirl,

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been experiencing this, it sounds like a really difficult cycle to be in.

As you haven’t had a reply yet, do feel free to call our breast care nurses for help with things you can do. You can reach them on 0808 800 6000.

Take care, Becca at Breast Cancer Care.

Hi coolgirl

I haven’t been on the forum for a few days so have only just read your post.

I suffered some hair loss when I was on capecitabine some years back. It happened after I had been on it for some time as well so it was unexpected - and unwelcome! To me it was quite noticeable as I could suddenly see my scalp through my hair whereas my hair is usually thick enough for me not to see it and it was at the front/on top. I used a treatment shampoo and conditioner by Nioxin (sounds like a drug!) which I had also used when my hair was growing back after my initial FEC chemo as my hairdresser had recommended it. I can’t say what caused mine but it did grow back and the shampoo etc might have helped it or it may just have come back on its own accord. You can get this at some hairdressers or online but I don’t think it’s sold in high street shops. There are others on the market now as well. The other thing is whether you are on any ongoing treatment such as hormone as these can lead to hair thinning as well so it could be a side effect rather than being caused by something else?

Nicky x

Hi Coolgirl,

My hair has always been thick and never even seen my scalp! But been on Exemestane for 3 and half years and my hair has thinned a lot plus the texture has changed. Nobody notices except my hairdresser of 25 years. Just had to get used to new products buying shampoo etc for “ normal” hair rather than “ thick unmanageable” hair lol

i do notice the feeling of sun or rain on my scalp… could never penetrate it before! 

Take care

x