Hair roots hurting

Hi all, this may be random but does anyone post chemo and currently/been on Letrozole & Abemaciclib have any issues with their roots hurting? It’s like when you’ve had a long tail in all day and then take it out? It comes and goes but does hurt a fair bit sometimes when I’m washing it.

3 Likes

Hi, yes I have this. I would describe it as the top of my head the hair roots feel tender when I touch them. I was concerned this was a prelude to hair thinning or falling out but I’m on my 8th cycle of Abemaciclib and still have my hair - so far.

2 Likes

@shade - thank you Shade, thank god someone else has it. It’s weird isn’t it, comes and goes but sometimes it’s really painful. How do you manage it? I hope it isn’t too bad for you. :green_heart:

Hi, I wash my hair twice a week and I let it dry naturally. I don’t use a hair dryer, I use a hair mask when I wash my hair and a small amount of a hair oil each day to try and keep my hair in order. As my hair is growing it is taking longer to dry and I have used straighteners occasionally if I’m going out but tension on my hair is uncomfortable. Last summer my hair was thin with bald patches so I just think this is an improvement. My standards with my hair have dropped. Pre cancer I had a tidy straight bob, now it’s curly and a tendency to be dry. I hope it improves for you, my discomfort has remained static hopefully it will improve when Abemaciclib has finished.

3 Likes

Good tip about the oil, I will try that. My hair is a complete mess atm but I’m grateful to have it back. I cold capped for 8 sessions but still lost about 80% of it.
Hope you get your lovely hair back soon :green_heart:

1 Like

Yes, I also suffer this!
I wasn’t sure if it was ‘a thing’ or just me…I was just rubbing my scalp and catching up on the threads when I saw this… the ‘pulled ponytail’ description sums up the feeling perfectly! :blush:
I’ve been on 6 months of Neo-adjuvant Abemaciclib & Letrozole (no chemo), and am currently having a break from the Abemaciclib whilst I had surgery, which I had just over a week ago. So I’ve been off it a month, and am due to go back on it in another 2-3 weeks, but I’ve suffered from my roots hurting periodically over recent months… I’ve stayed on the Letrozole throughout, so maybe it plays a part too?
Mine also comes & goes and it’s not always the whole scalp, sometimes just an area… I find rubbing my scalp helps lessen the pain a little and it does disappear.
I still have my hair, but it does feel thinner and I think my eyebrows have also thinned out (luckily no similar pain there!) So pleased it’s not just me with weird hair. :blush:

2 Likes

Hi @jellycat1, well there’s 3 of us now :smile:
It is odd isn’t it, probably the tablets but it is annoying, actually I have it now :frowning:. I’ve done a year on abemaciclib & Letrozole and there’s always something to struggle with but if it dies the job I’ll take it.
Hope you don’t get troubled by it too much and stay healthy :green_heart:

1 Like

This has been happening to me too. Feels like I’ve got my hair tied up really tight and my scalp is really sensitive when I touch it. Glad to not be alone in this side effect, thought I was imagining it.
Good suggestion for the hair oil, will definitely give that a try.
Has anyone asked their oncologist about this? My appointment isn’t for a few weeks but was going to ask about it then.

1 Like

Hi @Amylou no you aren’t alone. I’ve been googling, I know I know :smile: but it seems like a tablet side effect.
I did mention when I had my 3 month bloods and tablet pick up phone call but the registrar said she hadn’t heard of it.
Called my oncologists secretary last week and she got back to me to say that my oncologist said to bring it up at my next bloods & tablets which is in August.
I think it’s just one of those things but I do find hair oil and washing my hair every day helps.
Hope you’re doing ok :green_heart:

1 Like

I had it happen when I was on ribociclib plus letrozole, and I have it now on everolimus and exemestane as well!
I also use a little bit of oil, it seem to make things a little better.
And sometimes I can’t even put a elastic on my hair, as it make my hair roots FEEL so uncomfortable.

1 Like

Sorry you have it too @Amel but glad the oil helps a little. I’m on Letrozole & Abemaciclib so we had Letrozole in common. Hope you are doing ok. :green_heart:

1 Like

Yes thank you, for the rest is ok! Hope you too, and best best best wishes :blue_heart:

1 Like

Had a bit of a pamper session last night, spent a while massaging my scalp with the oil then did a hair mask. And it actually it feels way less sensitive today :partying_face:. I do love how little tips like this really help with these annoying side effects. Thank you :grin:

2 Likes

Yay fabulous. That’s the answer then, pampering :smile:

1 Like

:joy: absolutely love being pampered :grin:

1 Like

Hi lovely ladies
I too experience this, extremely painful at times. Im on abemaciclib and fulvestrant, slightly different combination to yourselves. Spoke to my consultant a few weeks ago about this because having sbc in the bones my panic mind had gone haywire, thinking allsorts. He reassured me that its the side effects of abemaciclib, he reduced my dosage from 150mg to 100mg the symptoms have eased abit, so definately put it down to the drug. Thank you for the tip on oil, will try that. :blush:

2 Likes

Hi purplerose, I’m also SBC with bone mets so completely understand your brain going on overdrive. I’ve been on my cocktail for just over a year now and PET scans have been good so :crossed_fingers:t2:for that to continue. Be interested to know how you go on the reduced dose and if it improves your side effects. I very nearly reduced my dose due to the dreaded diarrhoea :grimacing: but that did calm down (or rather I got better at managing it) after a few months and honestly I was scared to reduce the dose down after having positive PET scan results. Although the consultant did say reducing the dose wouldn’t reduce it’s effects on the mets. Xx

@purplerose - thank you for sharing your oncologist’s comments. I’m glad for us all that it’s a side effect, makes it slightly bearable. :green_heart:

Hi Amylou

Must admit i was alittle apprehensive to reduce dose, 2 months in, diarrhoea hasnt really improved to that extent, developed a cough, so had to stop all meds/injections for a week because of, in hoping cough would improve… Due to have another blood test this week then hope to start meds again. Other side effects like fatigue hasnt changed, infact seems more extreme, still experiencing itchy skin to which antihistamine helps. If you dont mind me asking as you are alittle further into treatment than myself, have all your CT scans been good so far as in the treatment appears to be stablising the cancer

@purplerose don’t mind you asking at all :grin:.
So my first scan showed a good reduction in activity. The 2nd and 3rd showed no metabolic activity. Which basically means the cancer was not active and I’m due to get results on Friday for my most recent scan.
I had the itchy rash too and was on antihistamines but that resolved so I don’t need them anymore.
Still have issues with tiredness but I don’t sleep well which I’ve put down to the zoladex and induced menopause :confused:.
Hopefully your bloods are ok and side effects improve so you can get back on meds :crossed_fingers:t2: xx