Hair roots hurting

Hi all, this may be random but does anyone post chemo and currently/been on Letrozole & Abemaciclib have any issues with their roots hurting? It’s like when you’ve had a long tail in all day and then take it out? It comes and goes but does hurt a fair bit sometimes when I’m washing it.

2 Likes

Hi, yes I have this. I would describe it as the top of my head the hair roots feel tender when I touch them. I was concerned this was a prelude to hair thinning or falling out but I’m on my 8th cycle of Abemaciclib and still have my hair - so far.

1 Like

@shade - thank you Shade, thank god someone else has it. It’s weird isn’t it, comes and goes but sometimes it’s really painful. How do you manage it? I hope it isn’t too bad for you. :green_heart:

Hi, I wash my hair twice a week and I let it dry naturally. I don’t use a hair dryer, I use a hair mask when I wash my hair and a small amount of a hair oil each day to try and keep my hair in order. As my hair is growing it is taking longer to dry and I have used straighteners occasionally if I’m going out but tension on my hair is uncomfortable. Last summer my hair was thin with bald patches so I just think this is an improvement. My standards with my hair have dropped. Pre cancer I had a tidy straight bob, now it’s curly and a tendency to be dry. I hope it improves for you, my discomfort has remained static hopefully it will improve when Abemaciclib has finished.

2 Likes

Good tip about the oil, I will try that. My hair is a complete mess atm but I’m grateful to have it back. I cold capped for 8 sessions but still lost about 80% of it.
Hope you get your lovely hair back soon :green_heart:

Yes, I also suffer this!
I wasn’t sure if it was ‘a thing’ or just me…I was just rubbing my scalp and catching up on the threads when I saw this… the ‘pulled ponytail’ description sums up the feeling perfectly! :blush:
I’ve been on 6 months of Neo-adjuvant Abemaciclib & Letrozole (no chemo), and am currently having a break from the Abemaciclib whilst I had surgery, which I had just over a week ago. So I’ve been off it a month, and am due to go back on it in another 2-3 weeks, but I’ve suffered from my roots hurting periodically over recent months… I’ve stayed on the Letrozole throughout, so maybe it plays a part too?
Mine also comes & goes and it’s not always the whole scalp, sometimes just an area… I find rubbing my scalp helps lessen the pain a little and it does disappear.
I still have my hair, but it does feel thinner and I think my eyebrows have also thinned out (luckily no similar pain there!) So pleased it’s not just me with weird hair. :blush:

1 Like

Hi @jellycat1, well there’s 3 of us now :smile:
It is odd isn’t it, probably the tablets but it is annoying, actually I have it now :frowning:. I’ve done a year on abemaciclib & Letrozole and there’s always something to struggle with but if it dies the job I’ll take it.
Hope you don’t get troubled by it too much and stay healthy :green_heart:

1 Like