has anyone had a nipple sparing mastectomy, with or without reduction first?

Apologies for ‘spamming’ the board, I hope you’ll forgive me!

I’ve been offered a 2-stage nipple-sparing mastectomy, which to be honest felt like far more than I could have hoped for, but it’s really difficult to find as much information on so thought I’d reach out here.

Because I’m on the larger size (H cup), the first stage is a breast reduction. This was starting to feel like a silver lining to all the horribleness, until the surgeon started listing all the risks: nipple and skin necrosis, joy.

Then 3-6 months later they’ll reopen the reduction scars (classic ‘anchor’ shape) and perform the mastectomy and reconstruction.

As I said, not as much info out there about this, so reaching out.

Hi bookish

Don’t worry, you’re not spamming the board.  Seeking out information and sharing experiences and tips is what this Forum is here for.

If nobody has a similar experience to share, you may wish to speak to one of our breast care nurses on freephone 0808 800 6000 (Mon-Fri 9am-4pm; Sat 9am-1pm). We’re always here to help!

Sending our best wishes

Bernard

Thought I’d leave an update in case anyone else in the future stumbles across this post and wonders about the 2-stage NSM.

I’m halfway through the surgeries now, having had the reduction 2 weeks ago. Op went as well as I could have hoped, and I’m healing well. It’s no bad thing having smaller, perkier boobs - silver linings and all that! Still have a bit of swelling, so can’t say for sure how things will settle, but then, there’s another op to go.

Worked well, having a fortnight to adjust to the size difference, and then yesterday I had the dressings removed and got to see the scaring. It’s all very neat, where I was expecting, although it’s very very odd to find the old scars (previous lumpectomies) in very different places than I left them!

I can’t say how I would have reacted to different surgery, but it’s probably a relief to still have my nipples. Alas, there is no sensation, which is a bit devastating. I’m not sure if it might have returned, but right now I’m guessing the next op will probably put paid to that.

Word at the moment is the mastectomy and implants will be early January. It’s both more daunting and less, compared to what I’ve just done, which I know makes no sense really!

Hi Bookish

I had a nipple and skin sparing mastectomy 9 weeks ago with immediate implant reconstruction. 

I’m not sure what information you’re looking for but please ask away!

Although still a bit swollen, I’m really pleased with the results. Apart from my new boob looking decidedly firmer and perkier than the other, it’s a really good match and having your own nipple there is like seeing an old friend! 

Sending hugs

Susie x