Having a port fitted

Hi I’m due to have a port fitted on Tuesday and I’m scared I’m doing the wrong thing. I still have 10 chemo and 2 bone infusion’s to go. Has anyone had a port fitted and could give me some advice please?

Hi Sharon,

I had a port fitted for my chemo about 18 months ago now. The good news is, you don’t have to do anything - you just lie there and let the surgeon get on with it! There’s a bit of it feels really odd - they do warn you - but it wasn’t painful at all.

When you have the port, again it feels a bit weird, like a little button battery under the skin. But, worth it for the protection for the smaller veins, imo. And saves a lot of unpleasant fuss of cannulas.

Mine was removed quite a while back now, and other than a small scar there are no after effects.

Hope that helps. Happy to answer any other questions you have. Sending you good vibes for the port fitting and treatments xx

I had my port fitted before chemo. I remember being scared of the whole experience but it went very smoothly! You don’t need to do anything, just be there and the doctors will do the rest. I didn’t feel a thing.

I’m not sure how it will be in your case but I could choose the placement of the port (I.e. in my arm or in my chest). I didn’t know that back then and had to make the decision on the spot! :grinning: so something to think about in advance.

There are no right or wrong answers. Mine is in the chest because I didn’t want people to see it and I personally find it easier to do things during chemo (like reading or watching something), as my arms are completely free. Also, it’s easier to do sports if you feel up to it.

Although I didn’t ask for it specifically, my port it placed quite low, about 10 cm below my neck, next to my armpit. Nurses often comment on it, as it’s a bit of a hassle to access my port at the beginning of the treatment (but it’s perfectly fine once the line is up and running). However the unintended benefit of it is that it doesn’t show in any cleavage that I’ve got haha :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Th scar is also not visible in any clothing.

I love my port and it makes the whole chemo experience much better, as I can move around easily (it takes a long time and you would need to go to the loo or eat) and no nasty cannulas!