Healthy diet

Hi Elinda

With a bread maker, you load all the ingredients into it, set the programme and away you go.

The features vary with the brand, but there are usually settings for quick loaves (usually made with the bread mixes you can buy in supermarkets and other shops), delayed action (so you can wake up to the smell of freshly made bread), choice of size of loaf, etc etc.

There is usually a recipe book provided with the machine and you can also buy recipe books specifically for breadmakers.

I’m on my fourth breadmaker (I wear them out!) since 1998. MY current model is a Panasonic SD 253 and it’s far and away the best I’ve ever had. I bought it through Amazon, who were 25% cheaper than high street retailers - and Lakeland, I’m afraid. The pan is coated and every loaf just slides out after cooking - bread sticking to the pan can be a problem with breadmakers. There are lots of programmes, too, including one for specially blended gluten free bread mixes. It will even make cakes, marmalade and jam.

One the subject of gluten free and breadmakers, I don’t make gluten free bread myself, but some names to look out for for bread mixes are Juvela, Trufree, Schar and Glutafin.

X to all

Hi, I read the David Schrieber book too. Found it quite thought provoking. It was recommended to me by a friend I have made at yoga class at our local cancer charity centre. I also get my fruit delivered weekly by abel and cole.

I find it terrible that we feel forced to examine everythign we’ve eaten in the past in case that was the cause of us getting this awful disease. This particularly annoys me as most of the foods I avoid now are ones that the nation has been encouraged to eat by various governments and health promotions!

My take on the situation is that my oncologist controls the drugs that I have and I control the food that I have.

Tried a bread maker in the past and really didn’t get on with it. Have children eager to knead the dough for me so won’t worry about trying another model for a while!

As a little add in, I have been avoiding Indian takeaways because I am aware of the cream/butter used in making the sauces. I rang our local takeaway the other evening as we where having friends round and getting dinner delivered. They said that if I told them what dish I wanted and if it was feasible for them to do so they would make it dairy free! I was quite impressed. However, our friends chose Chinese so I don’t know if it would actually have worked out.

Snoogle
x

Hi all

I have to say that I’ve a slightly different take on the whole diet thing.

First of all, I feel that there’s no doubt that eating well is good for you, for all sorts of reasons.

On the other hand, I also tend to the view that a bad diet will increase your risk of developing certain illnesses, cancer among them, rather a good diet reducing it, if you follow me.

But as for examining everything I eat to discern the cause of why I got bc then no. A big no. The bc puzzle isn’t as simple as that as far as I can see. I’m getting the impression that’s it’s a complex interaction of genetics, environment, lifestyle factors (including, but not limited to, diet).

I have the misfortune to have had my children late at 26(!) (according to the surgeon), altho’ not particularly so by the standards of modern times. There is a history of various cancers, including ovarian in my family. I was exposed to a lot of noxious chemicals in my late teens and twenties. I did a lot of night shift work and a fair bit of flying, too. All these factors have also been cited in recent years as increasing risk for bc and there is absolutely nothing I can do about them at this stage. So I refuse to beat myself up about what dreadful things I might eaten in the past -it’s just one element, one part of the jigsaw. I eat more healthily now than I’ve ever done, but I don’t obsess about it. Eating is meant to be a pleasure, so it’s lots of the stuff that’s supposed to be good for us, plus plenty of treats as well for me! :slight_smile:

X to all

S

Re Indian and no butter/ghee.

My local indian is fantastic, they cook my meals without dairy and they are lovely, especially the fish bhuna or garlic fish. Healthy and gorgeous with fresh vegetables and plain rice, mmm.

Katie

Indian food should be great, all those veggies and turmeric in the pilau rice! You’ve made me crave a takeaway tonight :slight_smile:

My take on all this? A little of what you fancy does you GOOD. I have never been on a diet. My Dad always used to grow his own veg organically. Never smoked. Didn’t drink. Never took drugs. Breast fed two children. Didn’t even drink tea or coffe then as I preferrd water. However I got BC when 39. I will eat anything now. Whatever takes my fancy. My body usually tells me when I need rhubarb or kiwi fruits or spring greens. I have a bread maker. I don’t like the bread it produces at all and dislike the hole it leaves in the bottom of the loaf from the paddle!.. But I love Nigel Slater and his book “Appetite” has the simplest and best bread recipe ever. Four ingredients only. Flour yeast salt water. Have experimented with the hand method of bread making and even taught another lady who was keen to learn how to do it. I don’t make bread every day and still buy ordinary bread. Scones,cheese, fruit or bran ones are all so easy to do and make a pleasant change. But I never worry about what I eat. I love home made curry but love a tiny cafe in town with its various curries and fab garlic Naan bread. My main hangup is when I do not feeling hungry but knowing I have to eat something before I have my chemo tablets or they will not work…then I rely on breakfast cereal or banana on toast. Something simple. But love the thread anyway. Love Val XX

Yes, it is a good thread, Val - and a theme which often crops up on here, too.

I’m like you, everything in moderation and plenty of variety. I must admit, tho’ I’ve eased up on sweet stuff a bit, but more from a dread of becoming diabetic than a bc standpoint.

X to all

Since recon op in may , I have done nothing but follow a healthy diet, well for most of the time, I have eaten soooooo much fruit, veg and everything else deemed to be good for you.

well my house now has a permenant blue haze engulfing it, I cannot move without breaking wind, much to everyone amusement.My carbon footprint must have trebled, and im sure can see the hole in the ozone layer,just above my house!!!

I just keep blaming the chemo

take care allxx

Hi Truffle Shuffle,

Unfortunately with a plant heavy diet the wind tunnel continues after chemo, or at least in my experience it has.

My family reckon it could be harnessed to provide an ecofriendly fuel for the house!

Gotta keep a sense of humour…

Snoogle
x

Made me laugh - sorry! I was very worried about this issue when I started my healthy diet, previously a bowl of vegetable soup would cause some trouble, and as for lentils, well that would mean taking a week off work! (otherwise they’d have sent me home or fired me :wink:

To my surprise though, raw veggies (whole or juiced) seem to cause no problem whatsoever. Maybe it’s cooking them that makes it harder to digest?

I’m so with everyone and the wind problem! I think it does get marginally better over time and your stomach adjusts but some pulses are terrible. With regard to the veg I wonder if its because the fibre isn’t there after juicing?

Bahons - thanks for info on bread maker. definitely going to look into that.

Elinda x