Heavy legs?

Hello,

I had surgery 10 weeks and 4 weeks ago. Since then I feel like my legs are just super heavy and sluggish; going for a walk really hurts my joints and leg muscles. Although I do have some joint issues Ive worked really hard at strengthening my legs and pre BC I walked every day and did steps classes several times a week. I’ve woken up a couple of times in the night with pain in my hips and a completely dead leg…is this just cancer fatigue? I’m going to mention it to my oncologist next time I see her but if it’s just normal fatigue I don’t want to waste her time. I’m not really thinking its potentially secondary related, which is weird cos every little twinge usually has me panic stricken. They just feel so heavy and sluggish and tired! Has anyone had anything like this?

1 Like

Hi, I’m afraid I can’t answer that as I have yet to have surgery and other treatments. I just wanted to say, don’t worry that your are wasting your oncologists time by asking the question! I’m sure that they would be more than happy to put your mind at ease and if it was something they wanted to investigate further, they will be equally glad you asked! I hope it settles soon xo

2 Likes

Are you taking any hormone blockers or any medication that could be causing this?

No, not yet. Due to start chemo on Thursday. I’m getting my picc line fitted on Tuesday so I think I’ll mention it to my nurse…I just feel a bit silly complaining that my legs are heavy and my muscles are ‘tight’. Maybe it’s just because I haven’t been as active as usual for a while, although I’ve been walking daily for a while now :thinking:

Like sam3 I think talking to the oncologist or BCN is a good idea. They are there to care for your health so questions about your health are not a waste of time. That is their job. Now when my concerns are ignored or I get the feeling that the medical person just isn’t responding thoughtfully I tell them that and look for someone else. I’ve become militant in my older. It’s your life and well being.

1 Like

Hi @sharlou,
It’s a bit worrying that your legs and joints are so bad already cos u obviously haven’t started the hormone blockers yet (Letrozole, Tamoxifen etc).
My surgery was 18 months ago and my legs have been heavy and achy since starting the Letrozole!! (And on it for 10 yrs)! I would definitely mention it. I’ve asked on this forum, if there’s anything I can do to help the heavy legs but there doesn’t seem to be a lot u can do about it!! I’ve started walking more and joined a gym which doesn’t make it worse. If they’re gonna ache, I might as well try to keep fit cos they hurt just as much if I relax on the sofa!! So I’m resigned to always having these legs!! :see_no_evil:
Sorry, I couldn’t give u any positive comments x

1 Like

@sharlou I have the same problem, despite walking every day. And also not on hormone drugs yet. If you had chemo it might be a menopausal problem perhaps with less oestrogen. I am going to ask my oncologist about it so will see what they say and will report back.

1 Like

I have not experienced this with BC but 2 anaesthetics so close together is not great for your body and some people can be left with a bit of fatigue . Years ago I had labyrinthitis and for months after I had weakness and loss of sensation in my legs which was terrifying actually so I feel for you. I made myself walk but it always kicked in at some point and I would have to sit down then get up and walk a bit more then sit down again. Luckily it only lasted about 3 months though it felt longer - I was diagnosed with burnout and had counseling but never really got an explanation as to what it was .

It might be worth it if you can to see a Physio Osteopath or Chiropractor and see if there’s anything that can be done re your hips / dead leg which honestly sounds as though it could be a back problem . During the episode above I read that lymphatic drainage could help people to recover from the kind of symptoms I had and I started to see an Osteopath who found other issues as well and really helped me - and she still does.

If you were previously on HRT or other medication you have had to stop because of your BC diagnosis that could also be a factor .

Please don’t feel that you’re being silly complaining about this - your team need to know . Xx

1 Like

Thank you so much to you all for your replies. I’ve been out for a walk today and could barely move by the time I got back to the car, I’m definitely going to have to ask about it. I think it’s probably just fatigue but it’s worrying me as I know I’ve got chemo and hormone blockers in my future which may make it worse :frowning:

1 Like

Sorry you’re in the same boat! It’s driving me mad :rage: If I get any advice from the BCN I’ll let you know :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi sharlou,

Thank you for posting. It sounds like you are having a difficult time, and it is understandable to be concerned about the sensation of heaviness you are feeling in your legs following your recent surgery.

It is hard to know what is causing your symptoms, they may be due to fatigue, or being less active as you mention. However, it is important to discuss any new symptoms with your breast care nurse or oncologist as @sam3, @bethdarling and @moobloo say. They can assess you and advise you on ways to manage your symptoms.

We hear from many women who experience joint symptoms such as pain and stiffness, and have questions about this. Although as @moobloo says this is often due to the side effects of hormone therapy or chemotherapy, which you have not yet started. Depending on your age, menopausal symptoms due to reduced oestrogen can also cause joint pain as @SL255 and @JoanneN mention.

Regular pain relief and regular exercise such as walking or swimming may help to relieve pain and joint stiffness for some people. Others find that complementary therapies such as acupuncture can help once they have established the cause and confirmed they can try these.

We offer a range of free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer which you may be interested in. They include face to face and online courses and events.

For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link, or call our free helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back .

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Katy

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.