Hello

Hiya ive been lurking for a few days not sure whether to post or not as im not the best with words! lol. I felt a lump in the underside of my breast a few months ago and finally went to see my gp today where she also felt a lump, she was going to refer me on the 2 week wait but i have decided to pay privately for my mammogram which im going to have on Tuesday morning. I suffer badly with my nerves and wanted to know as soon as i can so have gone down that route. I do have a family history of breast cancer but havent spoken to my sisters as i dont want to worry them. I just wanted to know what i can expect when i go for a mammogram etc and hope you ladies can help. Thankyou

Tania

Hi Tania,

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care Discussion Forums, where I’m sure you’ll get a lot of support from the other users of this site. Here is a link to BCC’s publication called Referral to a breast clinic which I hope will be useful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/upload/pdf/referral_redesign__final_14_feb_08_0.pdf

Our Helpline can also send out copies of BCC’s publications free of charge if that’s easier as well as providing information and support, telephone 0808 800 6000 Mon to Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 9am-2pm.

Best wishes,
Kate, Facilitator

Hi Tania

Glad you decided to post on the forum. Sorry you are going through this worrying time. I found the mammogram a lttle uncomfortable as they do squash your boobs quite a bit. Other than that it was fine. If you are a younger woman you might want to think about an ultra sound as well because mammograms don’t work so well on denser breasts. But I am sure you can talk about it at your appointment.

Please post with any questions or thoughts especially if you don’t want to worry your family. I hope it all works out well for you and you get good results. Dx

hi,

just want to echo what midge has said, the mammogram and ultrasound didn’t hurt much at all, just a bit odd and uncomfortable, hope it all goes well for you,

Vickie

Mammograms are not the pleasantest thing to have done, must have been invented by a man, but the radiographers are aware of your worries I found them very kind. Little or large boobs mammograms seem to be uncomfortable rather than painful & it’s just an awkward process to fit you into the machine. Not as bad as a smear in my view if that helps put it in perspective at all. Good luck.

Thankyou ladies for your replies. Im feeling quite positive about things,i think it will be different when i go on Tuesday! If they find anything will they generally tell you on the day or will i have to definately wait till the friday?
Thankyou
Tania

Hi Tania

I suspect different places have different processes for when they give you the results so I can only tell you my experience.

I went for a mammogram and ended up having ultrasound straight after as they found something which didn’t look right and told me at the time that I would need further tests (the same day, as it turns out!)

You could always give them a ring and ask them if you’ll get preliminary feedback or something, particularly if you are going private. At least you’ll know what to expect from the day.

Tresanne, you made me laugh, I agree the mammogram must have been invented by a man. Take one squashy round boob, stick between two rigid flat plates, stick your arms out at stupid angles and stretch your neck up to the ceiling … yeah that sounds like the most comfortable way to do a breast examination;-)

…but I agree with the other ladies here, it didn’t hurt, it was just a bit awkward getting in the right position and of course your boob does get a bit squashed.

Good luck on Tuesday Tania and let us know how you get on.

SG xx

Hiya just been in touch with the hospital, they do a mammogram then an ultrasound then a couple of hours later i see the consultant for the results, so hopefully will be all done on the tuesday. I just hope my nerves dont get the better of me as i have a bad phobia of hospitals, hence why im going private as its more like a hotel in there so wont be so daunting for me.

Tania

My friend’s comment on Mammos and how to compare them to real life: Go into kitchen - strip to the waist, open the fridge door, insert boobs and then slam the door as hard as you can!
Thankfully, it’s over v quickly and discomfort doesn’t last.

Hello ladies, had my mammogram and an ultrasound of my right breast, everything was fine the Dr said i had thickening of the breast tissue, could anyone explain this to me. Thankyou