Help please! Am I entitled to any benefits?

Please can someone help me, I am so confused. I have moved back home to the UK after OH transferred overseas. We still paid uk tax & NI contributions. I have secondaries to my liver & bones, I also have arthritis in my spine,shoulder,knees & ankles.I also have a very damaged lung due to earlier pneumonia and rads. I don’t work, my only income is child benefit for the three children. My husband works and we have very modest savings (about 5grand each). Would I he entitled to any benfits? I have seen threads mention allowances and benefits and really not sure…please. could anyone help me? I would be very grateful for any halp/advice. Hugs to all of you out

Hi Horsie, so sorry to read of your situation. I wonder if there is a Macmillan adviser at your local hospital or if there is a Maggie’s Centre or a hospice nearby? Any of these would be able to advise you and help you with any form filling.

There is a useful link on the MacMillan website here

BCC have several downloadable leaflets which might be useful too

Hope you find some help soon and get the support you need

(sorry if you’ve already read these and were looknin for something more specific)

Thanks Revcat, I have not read them, I’ll do that now. I live in Wales so we don’t have MacMillan or Maggies, I think it may be St David’s hospice. I didn’t want to call them for advice for fear of sounding stupid… Thanks againxx

I’m not sure if any if those links includ DLA, disability Living Allowance (the one being quoted in the press right now) but that is something that you can apply for with secondaries and in particular if you are suffering with other mobility problems.

Thanks Nicky, one of them did. it looks to me like there is a Disability Living Allowance and also another one, ESA ??which my Onc will have to sign a DS1500 form. I don’t know if you just apply for one, or both? xxxx

Hi horsie5050

As well as the excellent support you’ve had already, do give the helpline here a ring after the weekend and have a chat, I’m sure they’ll be able to point you in the right direction. Calls to the helpline are free, 0808 800 6000 open Mon-Fri 9-5 or Sat 9-2.

Take care,
Jo, Facilitator

I think you can apply for both but a benefits advisor from one of the charities should be able to help.


I was diagnosed with liver, lung and spinal mets in June last year and didn’t think I would be eligible for anything. I spoke to a fab Macmillan advisor (you can call their helpline if there are none locally) and she helped me to complete the DS1500 and I got the full allowance. It sounds to me like you would definitely qualify.

Good luck

Laurie x

Hi again horsie5050

Here’s the link to the Macmillan website

Their helpline number is 0808 808 00 00

Take care,
Jo, Faciliatator

Thank you all, will call and will apply now, I won’t feel so silly…love to you all. xxx

Do you drive or have someone who drives you around? Because you can apply for a Blue Badge which will conserve your energy and allow you to park nearer the doors of shops. Val

Yes, do ask about a Blue Badge because it’s so useful to have! I had a temporary one because when I finally came out of hospital after chemo was finished I could only get about with two walking sticks and had to surrender my driving licence after having a seizure.

If you are unable to drive but up to occasionally using the bus it might be worth you looking into whether you can get a free pass or discount pass. I know that the National Bus Pass Scheme isn’t valid in Wales but there might something that your local council offers instead.

I don’t know yet how long I will be without a driving licence, so when I gave back the blue badge because I was more mobile and lived near a bus stop, I applied for a free pass. My GP gave me a letter certifying me as medically unfit to drive.

There are things out there that can help and it’s never stupid to ask for help when you need it. My mum summed it up neatly - if you don’t ask, you don’t get! :slight_smile:

I’ve had to swallow my pride and admit that I needed help but I was pleasantly surprised a) about what I was actually entitled to and b) how helpful most people were when I asked for help. :slight_smile:

Nymeria xx

You have all been so kind with help and advice. I do drive and will ask about the blue badge scheme, even if I only use it when I have a bad day and mobility not to good, and walk the rest of the time! So glad to be back in the UK, even if it’s cold! cyber hugs to all of

There is a Maggies in Swansea,at Singlton It just opened before Christmas I think. Also Macmillians are planning to open something in UHW, Cardiff, in concourse so watch out for that.
Love Anne

If you’re in the south, you could try Tenovus at Velindre, too. Good luck xx

Yes, there is a Maggies in Singleton, Swansea. It’s been in temporary accommodation for a while but has now moved into a fabulous new centre on the same site. You can ring them for advice or drop in if you are in the area. X

Thank-you, Tenovus at Velindre it is!, I’ll pop in on my next visit.hugs to you