Help understanding pathology report

Hello we received the results for my grandmothers biopsy. I understand it says its carcinoma, but we where looking to get more information on it or if it could possibly be aggressive. We have an appointment tomorrow to talk to the doctor. I would just like more insight to ask the right questions and request the right things. Thank you.

DIAGNOSIS:

Left Breast 5:00 hypoechoic, ultrasound guided biopsy:

INVASIVE POORLY DIFFERENTIATED CARCINOMA WITH NECROSIS INVOLVING FIBROADIPOSE TISSUE.

No definitive breast parenchyma identified.

Left Breast 7:00 Hypoechoic, ultrasound guided biopsy:

INVASIVE POORLY DIFFERENTIATED CARCINOMA WITH NECROSIS INVOLVING FIBROADIPOSE TISSUE.

No definitive breast parenchyma identified.

Left Axilla lymph node, ultrasound guided biopsy:

No lymph node tissue identified. COMMENT: Immunohistochemical stains show that the tumor cells are positive for GATA3 (x2), E-cadherin (retained expression) and negative for p63. Overall features are consistent with breast primary with ductal features (retained E-cadherin expression).

Poorly differentiated carcinoma usually signals grade 3 and that is considered aggressive. Both of her tumors were positive for that. She also had a lymph node come back positive for the same type of cancer. Not sure if it’s lobular or IDC, the biopsy report you listed does not say. It also doesn’t tell us whether she stained positive for estrogen or progesterone receptors. Both of those factors are important in considering treatment. I am also so sorry this is happening to you all. Even with aggressive breast cancer though there are plenty of treatments that work. Breast cancer is one of the if not most researched carcinoma.

1 Like

Hello there i don’t know what time the appointment is but I think your best bet here is to ring the Helpline first thing in the morning if possible and talk it through with the Nurses on 0808 800 6000 . I think they open at 8am .

You could post in the Ask the Nurses Section but I doubt they would be able to answer before the appointment.

They should tell you quite a lot tomorrow having sent the report and they may give a treatment plan or they may want to do more tests and wait for the results of those first .

From the report I can’t really help much and I would resist researching it on the internet as you need a medical professional with the right experience to put it into context for you.

They will give you a lot of information I think - take a notebook and pen and write it down. One lady records her appointments and plays them back to make sure she has understood . If there is anything you don’t understand during the appointment you would be able to contact the BCNs and get them to clarify .

Once they have spoken to you tomorrow and filled in some of the gaps we might be able to help you more - so come back to us if you need any more help or support. Xx

Dear Katrose,

Thinking of you and your grandmother, I think maybe a call to the breast cancer team on this site may point you in the right direction, also your breast cancer nurse at the hospital will be there for you both today.

Wishing you lots of luck, please let us know how your grandmother is getting on. A big hug to you for all your love and support to your special granny.

Hugs Tili :pray::rainbow::pray::rainbow:

Hi @katrose may I ask which country you are in because it is unusual in the UK to be sent a report like that prior to seeing the oncologist who would typically talk you through your results in terms a layman could understand. In fact, unlike the USA, getting a histology report even following surgery is usually like getting blood out of a stone. I don’t think it’s helpful sending what amounts to gobbledegook to a frightened patient. I would echo Joanne’s advice to, if possible, call the Breast Cancer Now nurses prior to the appointment.

Anyway, as Kay has said, your grandmother could well have a higher grade pair of tumours which would mean an extensive treatment plan. Might I suggest that it is your job to keep your grandmother positive and calm throughout that treatment as breast cancer IS treatable in all cases although it might not be curable in all. You don’t say what age your grandmother is but we have plenty of more mature ladies on the forum, myself included, so keep posting.