Help with discrimination and side effects

Hi I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2023. I had surgery, chemo and radiotherapy. I’m now on Letrozole for 10 years and due to bone deterioration in recent Dexa scan I’ve been recommended to have bone infusions for life. I’ve had both hips replaced and now have pernicious anaemia. I’m head of a department at secondary school. Next year they want to increase my hours of face to face teaching. I told them I couldn’t cope with this health wise. I asked to go to OH and OH recommend no increase, 2.5 hours non contact for focus etc. school had a closed meeting without me and argued that if you look at my 2024 TT it’s not an increase and every teacher gets non contact time- so I get this. On and off I’ve had issues like this since I returned. I’m now signed off as I have severe anxiety. Any advice please.

Hi jfa,

Thanks for your post.

It sounds like it’s been a difficult time for you since your breast cancer diagnosis and treatment, and understandable that the ongoing side effects, bone health concerns and difficulties at work have led you to sign off with severe anxiety.

Many people continue to experience side effects after breast cancer treatment. Letrozole can cause side effects such as joint aches and pains and effects on bone density. As your recent DEXA scan has shown bone thinning or deterioration, it’s not uncommon for treatment teams to recommend bone-strengthening treatment such as bisphosphonate infusions.

You mention concerns about discrimination and your employer not following the occupational health recommendation. Our information on work and breast cancer may be of interest. Cancer is classed as a disability under the Equality Act 2010 in England, Scotland and Wales, which means employers have a duty to consider reasonable adjustments. Occupational health recommendations can be an important part of this discussion.

You may find it helpful to speak with your human resources department, occupational health provider again or an organisation such as workingwithcancer or citizensadvice for guidance about workplace rights and next steps. You could also ask your GP or treatment team whether they can provide supporting information about how your ongoing side effects are impacting you.

As you’re signed off with severe anxiety, please do continue to seek support from your GP, who can advise on further support. The organisations Anxiety UK and NHS every mind matters you may find helpful.

We offer a range of free supportive services which you may be interested in. They include face to face and online courses and events.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to additional support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.

Our number is 0808 800 6000. If you have hearing or speech difficulties dial 18001 followed by our number and the call will go through Relay UK. Our helpline has access to telephone interpreters if language translation is required.

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. Please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturdays.

We are closed on English bank holidays.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes,

Sonia

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.

Hi, what are your contracted hours? They cannot increase your hours without changing your contract and they can’t change that without your agreement. There’s also something about custom and practice, meaning they can’t just change your normal way of working without agreement. Very strange stance to want you to do more when you are already struggling!! Have you got a union? Joining one might be best. If not, try talking to ACAS, they can be very helpful.

Good luck x

Thank you so much. Yes I was doing well on my hours. I had been on these since 2024 so I will look into what you said X

1 Like