HER2+ and need some buddies

@bigpickle Yes, I think you are right. It’s odd not having an appointment schedule. Like you I will have injections for a while yet so not completely released into the wild.
Well done on your journey to the middle of treatment and hope the second half goes well.

2 Likes

Morning all

@thalia South coast is always good. I’m struggling to find a new bit though. We have a camper van so are always off in it. I fancy a city that I don’t know very well. Like Salisbury last year! I must get my thinking cap on.

@jayveebee Welcome! They do try to save the breast if they can. I think we are all lucky that breast cancer has had so much research and work done in this field and there are developments all the time. Have you had your lumpectomy yet?

@norts Here come your celebration emojis…:partying_face::champagne::raised_hands: Massive well done for getting there and I look forward to being where you are. My radiotherapy starts next month and I am not looking forward to getting tired all over again now that my energy has returned. Nobody really understands until they have walked in your shoes and this is absolutely the place to post how you are feeling. I think it helps us all because it validates our feelings. Whilst I am looking forward to the day my treatment is over, (I’m with you there @bigpickle and I think your comments are bang on) I’m not looking forward to being kicked out the nest because there is a security in having my team at the Marsden and they have become part of my life. Thanks for sharing your feelings. I guess everyone thinks you should be celebrating to reach that milestone, but it’s such an emotional journey and one which none of us wanted to undertake. It’s not so straightforward as cheering at the end and just getting on with life. It changes you forever.

It was a year ago yesterday that I discovered my hot, red, hard boob as I got ready for bed and the year since then has been horrendous, awful, wonderful, humbling, emotional, joyous…oh so many things. I guess it takes a while to process it all. But the one thing I do know is that we have each other and that, for me, has been a major part of what has got me through this year.

Love to you all,

Salbert
x

1 Like

Hi @norts
Yes it is a big moment and need to be celebrated :tada::tada::tada::tada::tada::tada:

Being on this cancer journey is not easy which ever treatment plan you have and so many people around us think the treatment is done or they become ‘bored’ of the ongoing treatments or worries. They aren’t us, we get it, we’ve been there.

Do something nice for yourself, slap a bench @salbert or treat yourself to something to remind yourself how hard it’s been and that you survived. I bought a necklace and earrings set for my last chemo, when I wear them I rub the surface and everything I’ve been through.

You did it :clinking_glasses::clinking_glasses::clinking_glasses::clinking_glasses:

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I’m sitting here feeling sorry for myself, I’m achy all over from my LAST Herceptin. Yes, 18 done! :partying_face::partying_face::partying_face::partying_face:

Internally I’m screaming from the rooftop but my body is not complying. I’ll do something nice next week and find a bench to slap! I had a little cry yesterday before the nurse came and after she left. It is a momentous occasion, 18 cycles, one year of treatment and tomorrow the 14th is the anniversary for starting chemotherapy.

I’m so looking forward to not having the side effects but like most of us know we still don’t with hormone blockers and next month I have another infusion of Zoledronic Acid. Treatment continues in some form for another few years.

I’ve made some butterfly cakes today, needed a treat! Homemade cake has no calories, right?

Sitting watching a movie :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Hi

Another one at the end of the journey pretty much. Well done , just a shame the minds willing but the body isn’t! No cake has calories :wink::wink:

1 Like

@naughty_boob Fantastic. 18 / 18. I’m delighted for you. Well done. I’m going to go for a walk and slap every bench I pass on your behalf.

1 Like

Hello everyone - I’m sorry I’m a bit behind, I got the call last week that dads probate had been granted then it’s a mad rush to get house clearance quotes , the house up for auction etc… so we’ve been non stop.
I then had a brainstorm at the weekend , freaking out that I was going to be dead before my surgery . Then got my date through for September 23rd . Relief and absolute dread has hit , the realisation that I have cancer and that I’m having a mastectomy , plus I’m terrified of having operations … what an absolute pathetic wimp I am :cold_sweat:

@naughty_boob congratulations on that amazing milestone , I think celebratory cake is free from calories !

1 Like

Hi @arty1

Sorry you had a tough week. That is a lot to take in.

I am so happy you have an op date!

I am absolutely scared of surgeries and most of us are! I was in tears on op day when my anaesteaist came and then fitted a cannula. I have a needle phobia and difficult to find veins and I made it and you will too! My OH thought I was ridiculous to think I would not wake up. Well I did! Your medical time will be caring and lovely on operation day. Do ask queations and please share any worrieanor concerns you may have and they will help.

Try to get your body and mind busy until the 23, so things you enjoy and time will fly.

I will be in your pocket

Big hugs

Marion xx

2 Likes

Well done @naughty_boob what a big milestone!

And no better way to celebrate than a homemade cake! No palm oil or nasties is way better and tastier, and I agree on the no calories!

Take care
Marion xx

1 Like

Oh dear @arty1 thats a lot to deal with. I was sole executor for my Mothers’s estate who died in 2021 and then my brother died in 2022. I had just taken control of the house 6 weeks before I found my lump and then put it on the market, sorted through personal possessions and then had a house clearance. My brother’s family were a nightmare and had manipulated my mother so she didn’t leave me anything in her Will, my father had passed 6 years prior to her so he had left 1/2 of his part of the house to me and it was held in trust so my mother could live there until she died. We exchanged contracts before I started chemotherapy and didn’t complete until my 2nd week of Paclitaxel and was told if anything happened to me, my family would be liable for breach of contract as the sale wouldn’t be able to process until my probate. I had to agree that my solicitor could tell their solicitor about my diagnosis but not tell the buyer. I didn’t want to share my diagnosis but needed to as they wanted completion after my 4th treatment and I couldn’t have that risk or stress for 4 weeks.

I hope you can get things sorted without the hassle and stress I had to deal with. It’s not easy dealing with loss and selling a family home let alone with a bc diagnosis.

Hurt my back yesterday and needed codeine, which I hate, probably made worst with my last injection and side effects.

Hope everyone is getting a big of sunshine, at least it warmer today.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

@norts and @naughty_boob
Whoop whoop,great to hear you’ve both passed another milestone on the cancer journey.
Definitely presents and cake (of any description) if it means you are celebrating.
How our lives have changed at the 1year mark .
I hope to be on holiday Oct 23rd; my first anniversary of suspecting my lump was cancer.
Enjoy the sunshine you lovely ladies xx

2 Likes

Hello Arty,

Sorry about the late reply I am recovering well after my Mx but away from home and was not hooked up to the internet till recently but yes it is nice that someone agrees that it is utterly ridiculous to wait so long for surgery .

Sorry you are having a tough time right now with a lot going on as well but the relief and dread with a date for surgery is something I defiantly resonate with.

I have absolute trust in the theatre team as I have a surgical background so I was not frightened to have an anaesthetic and be put to sleep my fear was having a mastectomy and what that entailed.

My op lasted around 5 hours but I had full axilla clearance too and I woke up comfortable in no pain if that is any reassurance to you.

The theatre team are incredible professionals from the anaesthetist to surgeons and all the theatre staff and you are in incredible hands.

Anyway best wishes for the 23rd September and I hope you get a bit of time to relax before your operation.

Xx

1 Like

Hello, you best bunch of women in the world!

Firstly, my dear friend @naughty_boob I am so pleased you have hit another milestone. YOU SLAP THAT BENCH, SISTER!! You have been ahead of me this whole journey and inspire me to keep ploughing on through. Massive well done. I know for a fact that homemade cake is very good for the soul and self-care means cake is essential for general well-being. It would seem you also inspire me to check that I have the ingredients for flapjacks and to put it on my To Do list for today. :rofl:

@arty1 I’m really glad you have a surgery date. That’s 1 week today so I agree, distraction is key so that it’s here before you know it. Everyone will tell you that a mastectomy sounds worse than it actually is. We all worry and then get through it and wonder why we worried so much. You will be fine. @marionse25 is spot on with what she says. Put me in your other pocket. Better reinforce them as I intend to put ice cream with my flapjacks.

You are dealing with so much at present, so be a bit selfish and look after you.

@helsbels2 Where are you off to on holiday? I keep looking back to see where I was this time last year and as it turns out, it was exactly a year ago that I had discovered a hot, red, hard right boob and had been given antibiotics for breast cancer. You gotta laugh! :rofl: Thankfully I went back when for some reason, they didn’t work!!

Love to all,

Salbert
xx

1 Like

Well done to those of you getting to the end of ypur trestment regimes and good luck to @arty1 for upcoming op, try not to worry!
@salbert how about Arundel for a trip? It jas castle, cathedral, some nice antique shops and a few good restaurants/pubs to choose from. Im thinking about Bath for my trip away as havent been there for many years. Last year we had a short break near Stratford on Avon which was good.

Good news from my follow up appointments with surgeon and oncologist. Complete resolution of tumour, three lymph nodes sampled all clear. I can hardly believe it. That six months of chemo was worth it, plus i think a little bit ofluck involved. Going to have five days of radiotherspy in October, then done apart from P hesgo and Zolendronic acid infusions for a while. Phew. Im going to my first social event with more than one person this week, book club - back into the real world. Next week is the MacMillan coffee morning that my friends on our MacMillanfundraising committee take part in, will definitely be supporting. I will have to think of something to raise money for Breast Cancer Now as this has been so much help to me.
Penny

2 Likes

@pennyp THAT IS FABULOUS NEWS!! :partying_face: YOU GO SLAP A BENCH TOO, SISTER!!
I’m going to find one and slap it for you and @naughty_boob on my walk today.

Arundel is a really good idea because my husband and I are always saying that we want to do the castle. But also, Stratford on Avon is a great idea. I was there just over 10 years ago and thinking that I must see it properly. Thanks for those!

I had my radiotherapy planning appointment this morning and it all starts for me on 8th October for 15 sessions. Then I, like you, will just have the Phesgo and zoledronic acid infusions. I agree that I would like to do some fundraising for Breast Cancer Now as it has been absolutely invaluable to me throughout this time. What an incredible charity it is.

Salbert
x

2 Likes

Hi Marion,

Thank you for your message and sharing your experience it helped.

Sorry about the late reply I am recovering with family away from home and just recently hooked up to the internet.

My team were also caring and considerate and I am recovering well.

I agree about the vagueness of Elles story and you’re right it was not clear and I took a look at what Liz O’Riordian said too before the operation.

You definitely were a voice of reason among the last minute doubts and fears upon reading this article on the evening before my operation.

I am sorry to hear you are having problems post op with cording that does sound painful I do hope that you can get help and support from your team.

Good luck today with your pain management team today I hope it all goes well and I hope you get clarity from your team about your results on Thursday too.

I love that you have been adopted by a cat too! What a lovely companion.

Xx

1 Like

Dear naughty boob,

Thank you for your message and sorry about the late reply.
I am recovering away from home so was not hooked up to the internet till recently.

I am pleased to say I have had my surgery and it went well and I am recovering quickly too.

Naughty boob you are such a calm, sensible voice in all the noise and chaos around and raise very good points.

It definitely gave me some clarity and perspective as who really has the money to see 30+ doctors and we don’t have the full story as you say and she did have traditional medicine in the form of a lumpectomy as you pointed out and she is promoting her book.

I am glad Liz O’Riordian has been so quick to say she was irresponsible as I must admit I had doubts about surgery after reading Elles holistic approach and could so easily have refused treatment.

We are not all rich as you say to employ all the staff that Elle did that is true but it is great that you have shared some of your strategies that you have used to support traditional medicine rather than replace it and I will be incorporating as many as I can.

I will also look into Penny Brohn philosophies and see if they have an centre nearby and will get the book you mention too.

Yes evidence based practice is always best!

Thank you so much.

Xx

1 Like

Hi all

Hope you are all well. I noticed a few of you are mentioning raising money for BCN. Ive just signed up for their 100 miles walk in October, I did it last October during chemo for CRUK. Not sure how I did it but I did more walking in the first few weeks of chemo and much less towards the end of October. I included walking around the house and going to the loo :rofl: but this time I’ll do it all outside. Here’s the link if anyone wants to join in.

Walk 100 miles | Breast Cancer Now.

Feeling much better today :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Congratulations Naughtboob in reaching another milestone in your treatment! :raised_hands: :partying_face: :tada:

I’m sorry you don’t feel great right now but Im hoping this will soon pass and you can mark the occasion when its right for you.

I still haven’t rang the bell after chemo three months ago as I was too unwell!

You have done incredibly on this journey and do to go through all the treatment whilst still supporting other women in such a warm compassionate and selfless way is remarkable and it hasn’t gone unnoticed that you are one of the first to respond to others including me with some comforting words or advice.

It has been a long journey with decisions around your teaching and redundancy you have shared with us along the way.

However I hope you don’t mind me saying you would make an amazing therapist or counsellor, you absolutely have these skills in abundance if you were thinking of a career change or change of direction……but don’t go anywhere just yet we need you!

Lots Love n hugs,

ChakaKhan Xx

@naughty_boob
Oh that sounds so stressful , and what a time to be going through it :weary: it’s hard enough dealing with a loved ones death without all the red tape that comes with it … AND a cancer diagnosis … what’s that saying … what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger !
I’m pretty sure we’ve all felt a bit broken during all this crap … but I’m in constant awe of all of you and you’ve no idea how much it buoys me to read all the messages in this forum x

@pennyp that’s wonderful news …treat yourself to a celebratory piece of cake too , you’ve been through a lot and this is wonderful news x

1 Like