HER2 positive and pre existing heart condition

Hello there - I’m looking for some advice as I’m really worried about my mum!

She was recently diagnosed with breast cancer HER2 positive (think it was Stage 2) and initially thought she would have chemo first to reduce tumour and then surgery, but last week found out she can’t have chemo now due to her pre existing heart condition. She will be getting a mastectomy soon, but I’m concerned about what happens after and will there be any alternatives to chemo or is surgery just it? They did mention a light dose of chemo.

Thank you so much! If anyone is / has been in similar position really grateful for your thoughts / experience xx

1 Like

Hi, sorry to hear about your mum.
I can only add a tiny bit of information.
Prior to chemo Eribucin and cyclophosphamide then Docetaxal I had to have an echocardiogram to make sure my heart was ok to tolerate it.
Age 60 no heart issues previously.
My echo was normal so I was ok to continue.
Good luck to you and your mum xx

Hi, sorry to hear about your mum. I have a heart issue (tachycardia) and a family history of heart disease. My team originally said Docetaxel and Carboplatin with Phesgo (herceptin and Perjeta) but with family history and the biggest tumour (yes I had two, one in each breast) was 2 cm grade 2 after an MRI, so they changed the chemotherapy to 12 weekly Paclitaxel and Herceptin. They said had the tumour been bigger they would have had to have a discussion about going back to the original chemotherapy even though it would have had more impact on my heart. They said there is a balance with treating the cancer and damaging the heart.

The HER2+ treatment is monitored with a MUGA heart scan and I still see my cardiologist who has also done an ECHO.

Your mum’s team will look into everything and talk to her cardiologist to decide on the best treatment for her.

I wish your mum well​:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I hope you are ok, it’s a lot to deal with when a family member has a cancer diagnosis. BCN, MacMillan and Maggie’s to name a few charities all support the family and friends as well as the person diagnosed. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you so much and so sorry to hear what you’ve gone through, I hope you’re ok :heart:

I’m so worried that they won’t be able to give my any treatment after her surgery to keep any other potential cancerous cells at bay or eradicate them but as you say her cardiologist will work with the team to make sure she gets the right treatment / drugs for her.

Xx

1 Like

Thank you so much for this info, really helpful and hope you’re ok :heart:

1 Like