Herceptin injection site

Hi all,

I have just received my second herceptin injection. I am receiving the injections into the thigh.

I was under impression that you received these on your outer thigh (side of leg). My nurses seem to be injecting on the front of thigh.

I don’t want to question anyone, however, I read that it “must” be outer thigh only and wonder if anyone else has had this?

I get so worried if something is done different it is not as effective, mind goes into overdrive!

Hi lanna19, I am also on Herceptin and have had 3 so far. If you have some reliable info about the injection site perhaps you could take this with you and show the nurse. I get my injection on the side but near the front. I also inject insulin in my thigh for diabetes and often do this on the front. Hope this helps. Love Tulip x

Hi, I had herceptin injections back in 2020 for 6 months (previously 12 months pre COVID). Mine were always in the front of my thighs (alternate sides for each injection). I had my 4 year mammogram just before Christmas and it came back clear. Hope this helps.

I have had four or five Herceptin injections, all done by different nurses. Each has been done slightly differently. One was definitely into the side, one definitely on the top part and the last one was part way between. The last one I asked the nurse about it and she just said it was her preference.

I had 5 pre-surgery on the day unit & they put it in the side of my thight. No getting 4 at out patients and theyre putting it in the front. Unsure why

Hi

I’ve now had 8 Herceptin. 6 done by NHS, 5 with chemo. Then I’ve had 2 by a private company in my home. All done by different nurses. Done in the outer upper side of my thighs alternating each time. Most have been around half way and only 1 about 4 inches from my knee.

Guidance appears to say use alternative legs and 2.5cm away from last injection site.

If you are concerned, ask at your next appointment or ring the breast cancer now nurses on Monday 0808 800 6000

Take care :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: