High grade DCIS diagnosis

Hey everyone

So, I had a biopsy on Thursday last week after finding a lump under my left nipple. The lump was just a cyst but the biopsy was due to clumps of calcifications. I went through something similar in 2020 and had a lumpectomy, however this time the consultant has told me it’s high grade DCIS. I have to have another biopsy to see how far the disease goes before they decide on my treatment plan.

I’m reasonably positive currently but obviously concerned that the additional biopsy may uncover something more sinister.

My surgery options will be either a lumpectomy + radiotherapy or (if the disease is spread over a wide area) a mastectomy. I’m wondering if I could ask the collective knowledge in here the pros and cons of each?

I’m a little anxious but the consultant is confident that it’s all easily treatable.

2 Likes

Hi, I had all the biopsies done which showed high grade DCIS with micro invasions. It was spread over 9 cm and I had a mastectomy because there was no option of a lumpectomy due to the large area of DCIS.
After my op, pathology tests showed that my cancer was Triple Negative.
Thankfully there was no lymph node involvement so I didn’t need chemo or any other treatment which I was so relieved about.
I feel OK about having a mastectomy with no reconstruction. I feel more confident that the cancer is gone.
My mum also had a mastectomy in the early 1990’s (with reconstruction) and was on tamoxifen with no breast cancer recurrence.
However, my mother in law had a lumpectomy only, but about 15 years later had a recurrence in the same breast and she had a mastectomy. Sadly it had metastasised to her lungs and brain.
I am only 10 weeks post mastectomy and have gone flat, but I am happy with my decision because I feel more confident that I have given myself the best chance to live.
I have a ‘softie’ at the mo and no one can even tell I’m flat when I’m dressed.
I get my proper prosthetic this week which I’m looking forward to!
In my mind, if it turns out your DCIS is spread over a large area, a mastectomy is best. Your giving yourself the best chance to get rid of all the cancer. I feel that being flat is nowhere near as bad as I thought and my recovery went really well with not much pain. I only had to take paracetamol with codeine of a night for about 5 nights. I managed with paracetamol during the day and only then when needed. I had a little bit of cording but this went with some exercise and manipulation.
Please don’t be scared of a mastectomy. I know it sounds drastic but I can only reassure you that it’s not the scary thing you think it is.
Hope this helps. Take care x

3 Likes

Hello,

My story is similar to @ljf. I’m 8 weeks post left mastectomy. High grade DCIS around 35mm and 2 sneaky 10mm Invasives hiding underneath some damaged tissue. No lymph node involvement, radiotherapy coming up as i had 6mm DCIS on the right as well (had mammoplasty). It’s completely doable, and I don’t regret staying flat.

Whatever happens, sending virtual hugs. Not a club anyone wants to join. Any questions, I’m happy to answer. X x

1 Like

I was diagnosed with invasive ductal cancer and multiple pre cancerous nodules over a large area. I had a mastectomy with lymph node removal as from the scans it was in at least 3 lymph nodes. Following mastectomy the results came back that all the lymph nodes had cancer. I wasn’t given a choice about the mastectomy as they said that was the only option. As I was pregnant they said the risks of surgery increase as I become later in pregnancy. Now recovering and the worse part was the waiting and anticipation of what it would be like. After I felt better and do have option of reconstruction later but not sure if I want to have more surgery. Just see what your doctors advice and talk through pros and cons of removing lump only. Mine was too large to remove.

1 Like

I am 9 days post mastectomy. I was diagnosed with invasive ductal cancer and had a lumpectomy which revealed DCIS and LCIS with invasive mixed in. 2nd excision as margins hadn’t been reached which revealed a larger area of disease (59mm). Was offered one further excision then mastectomy if margins were still not clear or immediate mastectomy. After lots of research I opted for the mastectomy as they kept finding more disease which only showed on histology and I couldn’t face the waiting for results and then more surgery. Fortunately I had 9 lymph nodes removed which were all clear. Mammogram showed extensive calcifications in both breasts which they kept reassuring me were usually benign.

I now feel a great sense of relief that although I will need further treatment the cancer has been removed. You will know what is right for you after discussion with your team.

2 Likes

Hi trooper46
Same story started with high grade DCIs
After 2 wide incision failures to get clear margins and also found triple negative tumour , had mastectomy right breast and lymph node removal found that surgery more uncomfortable than mastectomy I am flat has got used to it now took time and tears but have nhs prostisis which is heavy but looks good , a friend recommended a charity knitted knockers which are free I have aqua swimming one and every day ones they are comfy I just make a donation , what ever you choose I’m sure you will make the right good luck xx

1 Like

Thanks so much for the responses. Had my second biopsies yesterday and back to the consultant next week.

I feel pretty calm about the possible need for a mastectomy and I’d rather be sure it’s all gone and I don’t have to worry. I have thought long and hard about reconstructive surgery and decided it’s not for me so it’s good to hear positive feelings about being flat.

Thanks again, this journey is so much easier when you can talk to others who have been in a similar situation.

1 Like

Hi @trooper46 I have to have a mastectomy after 3 lumpectomies failed to remove my high-grade DCIS. I had asked for a mastectomy 2 surgeries ago. (I also switched hospitals and consultants as a result but that’s another story.) I honestly wish that I had been able to have a mastectomy back then. Mine had spread to 2 of my lymph nodes. I hate that you have already been through this is 2020 and are having to go through it again. Depending on the outcome of my genetics testing, I may have a double mastectomy. At the risk of sounding flippant, I am actually quite pleased at the prospect of having a nice, new perky pair at the age of 53 and hopefully eradicating the chances of going through this again.

All the best to you,

Salbert

1 Like

Hi @trooper46
I was diagnosed with high grade DCIS in my left breast in 2020 and had a successful lumpectomy followed by radiotherapy.

Last year my annual scan picked up a 6mm area of high grade DCIS in my right breast and I had 2 unsuccessful lumpectomy surgeries to remove it in Jan and Feb this year. I ended up after lots of research and discussion having a bilateral mastectomy 2 weeks ago with a DIEP reconstruction, the results are amazing and recovery is going well, 2 weeks from surgery all dressings are off, no painkillers and I am up and about doing a little more each day.

I would say do consider a reconstruction as well as going flat, then choose what is right for you. My new warm breasts look great and I have a lovely tummy tuck too.

Wishing you all the best with your decision as it is really difficult and i found it highly stressful. Always happy to answer any questions you might have about reconstructive surgery.

All the best x

1 Like

So, my mastectomy is scheduled for Wednesday. I feel strangely detached from it all at the moment.

I’ve decided against reconstruction, a free tummy tuck was tempting but I would have been doing it for the wrong reasons.

I’m nervous about having to go home with drains in, but I’m sure that’ll be fine.

I’ve bought my first post op bras and am as prepared as I can be. Hoping the sentinel biopsy doesn’t uncover anything and I can draw a line under it all following recovery.

1 Like