I’m new here, just had lumpectomy on 4/21 and it’s been torture not knowing the results yet , plus thinking about the side effects from radiation and hormone inhibitor treatments (hmm, do I want heart problems or stroke or osteoporosis??) . My family keeps asking me if I heard anything yet, and while I appreciate their concern, I really don’t want to talk to anyone until I know the results. I’m supposed to go on vacation in a few weeks and if I have to go back for a reexcision, I’ve heard its usually scheduled in a week or two from getting the results which is the week of our vacation. Is it going to make a difference if I wait? Its also my 30th anniversary in a few months and we were supposed to go on a trip which now could be postponed because of radiation treatment.
I just started a new manager job a month before being diagnosed and I’m also stressed over managing treatments and still being effective in my new job. I work at the hospital where I’m getting treated, and having to work on projects directly related to my tests and treatment so I can’t seem to get away from the reminders of my breast cancer diagnosis.
Just wanted to share what I was feeling in the hope that sharing with others in the same boat could help relieve some of the big feelings I’m having right now.
Thanks all!
1 Like
Hi,
It is diffult fielding the repeated questions for updates isn’t it? I’ve had to become more assertive than “normal me” and just say “it’s only been” however long “since you last asked. Nothing has changed”.
I have learnt to live in the moment and chill our a bit since diagnosis. Positive optimism and daily meditation. The “Calm” app has been a Godsend for me to do daily meditation, listen to EMDR sounds or relaxation exercises.
If you work for a hospital do they have an employee support service? There may be access to confidential counselling and support through that?
Well done for getting through the lumpectomy!!! Its a big deal getting a chunk of cancer removed from you, and it is out of you now. I am sorry I can help with knowing what will come next for you. I don’t know for myself, but I would suggest to accept the support that is out there through breast cancer now and macmillans support lines.
Wishing you all the best and a speedy recovery!! Xxx
Anniversary or not, cancer doesn’t give a damn about your vacation schedule, so if they say you need a re-excision, you get it done—waiting is just giving the “what ifs” more time to grow. It sucks working where you’re treated, but maybe use that “insider” status to pester the lab for your results instead of just stressing in the hallways.
1 Like
Well, turns out I do need a re-excision, one out of the 6 margins was still showing DCIS with cancerization of the lobules (thankfully that does NOT mean it’s invasive, though the high-grade part scares me). It took two full weeks to get the results back. Anyway, going in on Monday 5/18 for additional surgery to get a hopefully clear margin. Just in case, I visited a plastic surgeon to prepare for the possibility of a mastectomy if margins aren’t clear again, plus I guess it’s possible I’ll need to have fat grafting after radiation.
thanks for the support 
One more update, reexcision of margin still showed focal DCIS involvement. Now trying to figure out if mastectomy is the next step or if we’re trying a third time.
Latest reexcision still shows DCIS at margins. It looks like I’m going the mastectomy route. It’s frustrating because MRI showed a 12 mm area but we’re at 40 mm now after the third surgery. I wish there was a better way to find those cells other than repeated surgeries. I hope this is rare and others out there get clean margins on the first try!
1 Like
The waiting game can really mess with your head, I remember pacing like I was training for a marathon. What helped me was breaking the days into tiny bits and only dealing with what was right in front of me. I also asked my breast care nurse to explain exactly what outcomes were possible so my brain stopped filling in the blanks with horror stories. Be gentle with yourself while your mind runs laps.