Holidays and Treatment Cycle

Hi everyone

I’m looking to book a holiday and I wasn’t sure how it all worked with my treatment cycle.

Initially my breast cancer nurse said that as long as I don’t book to go on my treatment week everything was fine. If absolutely necessary I could be a week late with my treatment but to bear this in mind when booking as there would be a knock on effect with subsequent treatment (i.e., a week later that my current treatment cycle).

I was happy with that and have been looking at trying to book without interfering with my current cycle. However, the other day I spoke to my oncologist and now I’m really confused. She told me that they don’t like us taking your medication with us on holiday (i.e., ribociclib) and then tried to explain how it would work if I went away for more than a week. I thought I’d understood her but then when I thought about it I don’t understand how I would just pick up my treatment when I return home if it is only the tablets she is saying I can’t have: obviously the remainder are injections so no meds to take with me and I’m unsure whether that means they would be delayed too.

Has anyone else been told this and if so how does it work? I’m psyching myself up to ring my nurse but as she often speaks with forked tongue I’m not anticipating it going too well.

Many thanks
Jan

It doesn’t sound like they are being all that helpful to me.

I’ve been on Palbociclib since December 2020. I go on holiday about 3 times a year and I travel abroad with work. I always take my tablets with me and carry on as normal.

The only risk I can think of is that you get an infection whilst you are away.

In my 3 years I’ve only had a temper spike, and therefore hospital visit, twice and both times that was covid so I was just sent home to recover.

I guess if you have a lot of infections then it might be tricky, but that’s all I can think of. I always take a thermometer with me and pain relief tablets

I get 2 rounds of palbo at a time and then I only start on the next cycle if my bloods are good. As long as your holiday doesn’t interrupt your blood test then you are fine. I’ve got my blood results whilst I’ve been on holiday. Weirdly I don’t think I’ve ever had to delay a blood test, perhaps I’ve had it a day or two early and I have been away and they’ve told me my bloods are not good enough to continue so I’ve had a break until I’ve got back.

I obviously get travel insurance. Mine is annual with Insurance With.

I carry my tablets in my hand luggage and never been asked about them. I do have my medical notes on my phone, but again never been asked and I take the tablets out of the boxes.

Please let us know how you get on. My motto is what’s the point in living if you’re not going to live. I love holidays.x

I am on abemaciclib and have been to spain. Like tibbletek as long as you avoid when your blood tests are due I see no reason not to go on holiday. I usually wear a mask on the plane, take hand gel,buy bottled water, and wary of salads- all to reduce risk of infection. Definitely get travel insurance.
I dont think your team seem very sympathetic so I wouldn’t bother asking them any more. Avoid your blood test dates then go away and enjoy yourself.

1 Like

Hi,
I’m about to start 3 weekly intravenous chemo and did consider trying to book a holiday in the gaps. My oncologist said don’t, because if my bloods fall some doses could be delayed. We’ve already lost one holiday due to BC, and think it’s too stressful not knowing if we can make another. I’m going to try for short UK breaks booked at the last minute instead

Hi
I was advised not to travel overseas during chemo but ok to travel 2 weeks after radiotherapy
The main reasons is infections you don’t want to get seriously or even minor infections without having your team as back up

Definitely need travel insurance ( search in the forum as there are lots to shop around with and comparison sites aren’t helpful or accurate for breast cancer survivors)

Good luck

Hi,
I’m on palbociclib and Fulvestrant and have a very supportive oncologist, initially I was told I couldn’t travel in the first 3 months. After that she lets me go (we have our own apartment) and take my tablets and injections with me, I do have a local oncologist who is willing to support me if I need it and his chemo nurse does the injections. I have blood tests there too and just let the hospital in UK know the results. I have had to go to A&E once and they just sorted antibiotics for me so it’s definitely doable……talk to your team about your plans and where you want to go. Ideally not the middle of a jungle but tourist locations should be okay. I take all meds in hand luggage and they never query the injections which are always still in their sealed box.
Good luck
Spikey

Thanks everyone

As expected no call received from my nurse so we are looking to book around my treatment week. So far I’ve not had any infections - long may that continue

As long as my scan next month returns good results I’m sorted. We will probably have a cruise so I’m busy searching for the right one

Some sense at last - three oncologists later and I’ve been told to choose the holiday I want to do and not worry about where this falls in my treatment plan. Once I’ve booked it I can give them the details and they will work my treatment around my holiday and adjust as necessary:)

2 Likes