Hormone levels blods

Hi

Please can you advise what the estradiol level should fall into when having ovarian suppression and an AI. My cancer centre don’t keep any kind of track on it so I asked my nurse, who is in gp and does my Zoladex shots, to order a blood test. She was happy to order the test and give me the print out but neither of us know how to interpret the results. My estradiol level came back as 57….should it not be undetectable on this combination?

Thanks

Hi Helen39,

Thanks for your post.

As you may be aware there are different drugs that can be used to try and achieve ovarian suppression. As you’re on an aromatase inhibitor (AI) and goserelin (Zoladex) you do not need regular blood tests to check your ovaries remain switched off (suppressed). Regular blood tests are however required if a drug called leuprorelin (Prostap) is used in combination with an aromatase inhibitor.

We’re unsure how long you have been on ovarian suppression for. But within about three weeks of the first goserelin injection, your oestrogen should be lowered to a level similar to that of a post-menopausal woman (a woman who has been through the menopause) and your periods will normally stop. This effect is generally temporary and will only last for as long as you’re having goserelin. If your periods have not stopped it’s important to tell your treatment team as your ovaries may not be suppressed enough.

As you’ve had a blood test to determine your oestrogen levels you can discuss this with your treatment team. They will be able to give you more information about what level of oestrogen is appropriate for the length of time you’ve been on treatment and your individual situation. You can also discuss any concerns about this with them.

We offer a range of free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer which you may be interested in. They include face to face and online courses and events.

For more details about all of these services, please see the information on the link, or call our free helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen to your concerns, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Heidi
Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

This thread will now be closed from further replies. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread.