Hormone medication

Hi, I have just started taking tamoxifen a week ago after having surgery (radiotherapy to come)
I’m just wondering what side effects people have had. Today I feel really achey but I could just be coming down with something (lots of lurgys around) I’d just be interested to hear other people’s experiences x

1 Like

Hi it seems to affect everyone differently. I’ve been on it 4 months.

I was on hrt and had been reducing. I was off it for two weeks before I started the tamoxifen. So I had some symptoms already.

The main ones after a few weeks were freezing cold spine and waking up sweating but freezing cold. And hot or cold flushes. Some insomnia. I have to have a fan on at night but was then struggling with how cold I was. So also had a hot water bottle! I still seem to need both to go to sleep but it’s no where near as bad as it was.

I had some complementary therapies (massages) via a charity which really helped with sleep. I also started exercising and lifting weights. By about 10 weeks the night sweat’s suddenly stopped.

I’m on thyroxine and needed a bit of a change in medication there, and may need more.

I did notice some dryness and it impacting libido after a couple of months but that improved with topical hrt and pessaries (only vaginal/ vulva.)

I was without flushes and sweats for a good couple of months but they’ve come back this week. I’ve had flu though, steroids and antibiotics for a chest infection, and all my good eating habits and exercise went out of the window! I do think sugar and alcohol affects that.

Early muscle cramps and bone aches were helped with magnesium spray and Epsom salt baths. I don’t seem to have those now.

Brain has had foggy days. I think affects memory and motivation. But I also find exercise helps. And green tea which also boosts the tamoxifen apparently.

I’m a bit more constipated. I’m eating a lot of vegetables and plants, lots of plant protein foods like beans and nuts, whole grains. Yogurt, kefir, saukraut, helping gut biome etc. A little cheese and meat / fish but the plant forward diet I find really seem to help both with my gut and general wellness.

For some women they seem to settle on it. Others find it slowly gets worse over time. For others the symptoms seem to come and go. I do think it’s worth sticking with it for a good 4 months to see how you go.

1 Like

Need to add that my libido came back weirdly.

Periods stopped for almost 4 months but also came back (grr!)

Lots of people seem to have all different side effects but they effect everyone differently. I really don’t think I’ve had any to really talk about. Yes, I’ve had a couple of hot flushes but they’ve not been that bad - I had them worse on chemo. I guess I have been a bit down lately but I’ve been through a lot, so not sure I could say that’s the tamoxifen plus I’m on like 3 other drugs. Some people seem to really suffer and others not so much. Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers: you’ll be one of the latter x

Hi there,

I’ve just come off Tamoxifen after taking it for 2 years and have just switched to Letrozole. Like you, I was worried about side affects before taking it as you read of peoples bad experiences.

Do remember, most people manage very well on it, as did I. I did feel tired for the first couple of months, achy hips, had a bit of thinning hair and dry skin but most of it settled down after 6 months. Remember also that a lot of people tolerate specific brands so if you have a bad experience with one brand, ask your pharmacist for a different one next time. It really can help. Good luck and all the best x

1 Like

Hello Dolly-diva22.
Just been on tamoxifen for about 1 month and I noticed some digestive discomfort and some bloating. I believe this is mostly because I already have some digestive issues and had to stop drinking my 2 daily chamomille cups (it it mentioned to interfere with tamoxifen).
I am seeing the gynaecologist in two months time for a routine check up.
xx

Hi when you mention brain fog, did you suffer with a feeling of being spaced out at all? I’ve been on tamoxifen for 18 months now and periodically have a few days of feeling spaced out/dizzy and it’s such a horrible feeling. Convinced myself my cancer has spread to my brain :woman_facepalming:t3:.
Am thinking it’s hormonal but would be nice to know if anyone else had a similar issue :smiling_face: