HORRIBLE TASTE IN MOUTH FOLLOWING EPi

Hello. I’m a new reader!
Had my first FEC chemo about 10 days ago. I feel a bit of a fraud as everyone expects you to be poorly and I have felt remarkably well. (Or maybe I have just been able to forget the not so good times)
However my main side effect has been this disgusting taste ALL the time. I love my food and usually drink gallons of tea. However I am now refusing tea because I know won’t enjoy it and meals are a bit of a chore. I am encouraged by the tip from DilysP to give up food and lose a stone and a half! There must be some perks to all this.
Chewing gum is Ok but I’m getting jaw ache!!
Cath

Hi Cath

Oh wow, so I was some help! I so feel for you. Remember it well. But it does pass and if you are lucky like me you lose the weight and don’t put it on again. Ask your oncologist if you worry about not eating. Mine didn’t think a stone and a half was anything to worry about. And do drink the Ensure stuff (they will prescribe it). Then you are ok and slim! Here I am still the same weight after finishing chemo last October. The disgusting taste was just too much for me. But I am here to tell the tale.

Good luck my love, and let me know how you get on.

Dilys
xxxx

Hi there

I had my 1st Epi 10 days ago and haven’t had any side effects apart from in my mouth. A terrible sore throat (like swallowing razor blades), my sense of smell being heightened, but the worst is taste. Everything (and I mean everything) tasting dreadful. It’s not just the taste it’s the consistency too. Bread, pastry and meat feels like cardboard and even things like mashed potato just taste and feel awful. The only foods I can taste and enjoy are Frosties and pineapple.

I’m hoping that I can lose some weight! But I’m having to force myself to eat. Not good when I’ve always enjoyed my food.

Mal

Now on #3 of 4 Tax and the mouth thing is particularly awful (not least 'cause my tongue goes blue about 6 days after chemo!). Can’t taste anything much, which is a bit of a pain for someone who enjoys cooking…can’t inflict grub on friends and family that I can’t taste myself.

And have already had a bit of a disaster with trying to jazz up a boring salad with Tabasco. You still can’t taste anything, but steam comes out your ears…

Mouth feels like a gobful of wet velvet. Ugh. Still, have enjoyed watermelon, peaches, grapes, strawberries and pineapple recently, so maybe there’s hope. Home-made tomato soup is ok, too.

L x

Lemon squash, ginger cordial and lemonade, peppermint tea, lemon and ginger tea, pineapple, nectarines.

stocked up on ginger everything but only using the cordial and a morning biscuit, before getting out of bed - just and excuse really!

I don’t like anything that tastes too much - preferebly white food for 10 days.

gill

Hi,
This is odd. The steroids induced diabetes in me and I have just noticed that a side effect of the medication I take for this is a metallic taste. Fortunately I don’t have it now although I did through chemo.
I wonder what the connection is.
Margaret

Hello Everybody

I haven’t been on for a while due to be unwell with chemo. I find pear drops, kola cubes, celery and as the other girls have said fresh fruit and salad and very good for easing the taste inyour mouth.

Lots of Love
Emma
xxx