How long does a mastectomy take

Hi everyone I have been diagnosed with BC. Due to have a full mastectomy in a week. 3 cm lump hr positive .
I’ve been to see the consultant that will do my op today but I’m afraid I didn’t write any questions down…:see_no_evil:
Just wondering if anyone on here knows how long a mastectomy takes. I know its a silly question but it’s worrying me.
Thank you x

Hi @clobo1

Sorry you find yourself here in this club, but we are all ace, and so supportive.

I was told Mx takes about one and a half hours. Mine took three because I also had an auxiliary node clearance, and apparently, there were 19 to fish about for. I don’t do anything by halves (apart from the chest region :upside_down_face: )

Hope this helps. I’m sure others will chip in.

Karen xxx

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply. I’m having sentinel nodes taken out too.
Just feel better if I have an idea of times .

I had my mastectomy and sentinel nodes operation on the 9th January. The operation took just over an hour.
My recovery has been fine, uncomfortable rather than really painful. Finding the best position to sleep took a coulpe of days but found using a v shaped pillow helped.
Wishing you the best recovery :heart:

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. Helps me feel not so alone x

1 Like

I raise you 48!!!

Mine took about that amount of time too. I was off the ward for about 3 hours from walking down to theatre with time in recovery included.

If your op is first in morning you could be out same day. I went down to theatre about 2pm and had an overnight stay. Able to take myself to loo overnight after being helped at first. Had 1 drain which was taken out before 9am (as not too much being collected) and on my way home at 10am. All went very smooth,

I had an afternoon session and it did seem to take a bit longer than anticipated but you won’t know a thing. Back out and had a sandwich for 8pm and out the next morning. Best of luck x

1 Like