How many biopsies likely (maximum!) after MRI scan?

I know there is no such thing as an ‘average’ person or an ‘average’ case so forgive me for asking a question for which there not be any sensible or appropriate answer.

I am off to get MRI scan results tomorrow and understand that more tests are likely as MRI can throw up many areas that may need further investigation to identify whether they are likely to be benign or malignant. The most likely tests are ultrasound-guided biopsy, using the MRI imaging as a sort of road map of the breasts.

My tumour didn’t show up on mammogram or ultrasound previously as was very small and close to the nipple, the MRI was ordered to find out more. Here is what I am wondering - if MRI showed more than one suspicious area - does anyone have an idea of the maximum number of biopsies they may take on one day? Either for one or for two breasts. I’m envisioning ending up like a pin cushion if there are lots of suspicious areas!

Sorry, I know this is a bit of an ‘out there’ question but on the eve of my results, it’s whirring around in my head.

Any people with knowledge on this? And I know, one person’s experience may be wholly different to mine. I also know that it is better to investigate everything in order to come up with an appropriate treatment plan.

Thanks for any insight and advice.

Not a huge help, as i didn’t have mri. However, if nothing showed up on mammo or US, there is not likely to be lots of suspicious areas on mri either. My lump was obvious on US but not mammo. I had 3 biopsies taken but through same cut. To put your mind at rest, it takes seconds and you’ll have a local anaesthetic. It doesn’t hurt but you will feel pressure. I also had a stereotactic mammogram and vacumn assisted biopsy on an area of distortion. That type of biopsy takes 12 samples in same hole.
Good luck for your mri results. Hopefully it will be quick for results and good news xxx

1 Like

Thanks for taking time to respond - very kind of you. I wish you well in your own journey - take care of yourself… :gift_heart:

Hi roxie1

Thanks for posting.

It’s natural to wonder about the amount of biopsies that may be needed after your MRI scan. However, as you’ve mentioned, it’s difficult to give you a definite answer.

As you’ve said, MRI scans can often find areas of change within the breast that mammograms and ultrasound don’t identify. These may not all need further assessment, but where they do, will often be biopsied. As @bluestasuma has said the type of biopsy can also influence how many samples are taken from each area.

If more than one area requires a biopsy, your team will arrange for this to be done and may plan to do this at the same time. It sounds like you have an appointment today to get your MRI results, so do talk to your breast care nurse or treatment team about any concerns you have. It’s important they explain what is needed and take your wishes into account, especially if you feel this would be difficult for you to manage.

You might find it helpful to talk this through more with one of us. You can call our helpline to do this or ask any further questions, as we often find we can help people more by speaking to them on the phone. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000. If you have hearing or speech difficulties prefix our number with 18001 and the call will go through Relay UK. Our helpline has access to telephone interpreters if language translation is required.

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back .

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Catherine

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.