how much is too much

hi wasnt sure where to ask this

ive just mown the grass with the petrol mower as i was feeling good(knackered now)
im 2 wks after last rads
im of the opinion do what you can when you can
to be as normal as posible

i just wondered if we are supposed to be careful with the “bad” arm regarding heavy stuff?
what would happen?
thanks

I was told to avoid heavy lifting/pushing full stop. I had all lymph nodes removed on affected side and was told that there was a higher risk of developing lymphoedema(sp) and I have mild swelling of part of my hand even having avoided heavy lifting. I think it’s just a case of being sensible, don’t overload that arm. I was also advised to do stuff like ironing/computing etc in 15 minute chunks, then resting it for a few minutes. I always used to have my bag on that shoulder but cannot tolerate it there now. I think your body will tell you when it doesn’t like something but I think it’s also very frustrating that, even when you feel fine and up for normal ‘work’ you have to be a bit careful. With gardening I wear quite thick gloves to avoid any puncture wounds becoming infected. I think it’s just a case of being more aware, but isn’t it great when you do feel well and energised enough to do something like mowing the lawn! Take care x

Yes I was advised the same as Cass, I try to avoid too much lifting and carrrying with affected arm. I think its just a case of being very aware and not doing too much all at once.

Take care
Carolyn x

Hi I did a bit of ‘light’ gardening at weekend and wore gloves but I noticed a couple of splinters in my hand on my affected side I had full anx approx 5 weeks ago. Silly me has tried to get them out with a needle and my hand is now very red swollen, sore and is infected. I have washed, cleaned and used germoline on it but it doesn’t seem to be getting any better - any ideas of what I can use to clear it up. I don’t want to be going to the GP at this stage with what is only a minor infection but I am concerned that it could get worse.

If your hand is red and swollen (also hot) I’d advise you to get it checked out, just to make sure you are not at risk of it developing into something like cellulitis.

It’s about 3 1/2 years since I had my surgery and my arm and shoulder have been nervy again in the past 3 weeks or so. It comes and goes but never entirely. I also think I might be going down the route of slight periperhal neuropathy as I have mild tingling in my fingertips. Had a read up on it today and Macmillan cancer said taking vitamin B2 can help also using TENS. OH has the latter so I’ll dig it out. I always use messenger type bags that go across the body now, either that or a hand held bag with 2 handles.

Hi, I agree with all the comments here. It is really very much an individual thing. I have had mx and clearance + more surgery for local recurrance, and my shoulder/arm is a real pain. I can’t mow the lawn (tried last year and it was a mistake!). Can’t use that side for bag or carrying anything with any weight at all. Have an automatic car as gear changing is a nightmare. Also what feels like muscular pain in back of arm when i try to reach behind me (e.g. getting something off back seat of car). Has anyone got any advice? I have not really mentioned it to anyone at appointments as no sign of lymphodema - I probably will do next time - but has anyone found anything that helps? Most of the time I don’t think about it but sometimes it really gets to me!
Mo

Hi Everyone, I hope you don’t mind me joining in as I am actually suffering from secondaries in my liver and spine. When I had the original mastectomy 18 years ago I didn’t really have any trouble with my arm, but I do get awful pains in my shoulder blades now. The real reason I joined in is because I saw that the original message was from someone called Lincslady. I just wondered whereabouts in Lincolnshire you are as I also live in Lincs, in Louth to be precise. It would be lovely to hear from you, so I’ll check back in tomorrow. Take care everybody, sending you all lots of love and hugs, Dianne x x x