How to massage implants

Do you have any guidance on how best to massage implants without damaging operation. I’m 6 months post surgery and one side is a lot firmer than the other. I’ve never been told how to massage and how often. So I am not sure if what I am doing is correct.

Also should I still sleep in a bra?

Thank you

Hi lovemydog

Thanks for posting on our forum

We hope to be able to respond to you tomorrow.

In the meantime our helpline is open from 9am tomorrow.

If you do phone our helpline please let us know that you have asked a question on our forum so that we know your query has been answered. Thank you

With best wishes.

Lisa

Ask Our Nurses service co-ordinator

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

Did you have radiotherapy? My implant became much firmer after radiotherapy. I was never told to massage it, I do sometimes when its uncomfortable as it does ease it a bit.
I was simply told that “its to be expected after radiotherapy”.
I hope you get better information.
Lynne xx

Hi lovemydog

Thank you for posting.

It is common to experience some firmness following breast reconstruction using an implant. You mention one side is more firm than the other. The firmness often settles over time, but sometimes it can be ongoing. Massaging is often recommended after breast surgery to help the skin and scars to soften.

Massage can improve the blood supply to improve healing, help the tissue to remain soft and natural and reduce the growth of scar tissue around the implants. As @LynneHM says radiotherapy can cause the reconstructed breasts to become firm.

There is no particular way of doing the massage. It is about using gentle pressure moving the breast tissue and often you will be doing this at least daily. Many women find it comfortable to sleep with a bra but generally you can sleep without a bra if this is more comfortable after 6 months. Do talk to your breast care nurse or treatment team if you have any concerns.

It can be difficult to adjust to how the reconstructed breasts look and feel and it’s important to remember that it can take 6 months or more for the breasts to heal fully. Sometimes, talking to someone who has had a similar experience can be helpful. Our Someone Like Me service can match you with a trained volunteer who’s had an implant breast reconstruction who can share their personal experiences to answer your questions, offer support or simply listen to how you are feeling.

We also offer a range of free supportive services for anyone who has had a diagnosis of breast cancer which you may be interested in. They include face to face and online courses and events.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK - prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back .

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am - 1pm on Saturday.

We will be closed for the bank holiday on Monday 26 August 2024.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Grete
Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.