How will I be a mum during surgery recovery

Hi…I’ve been looking for some advice online but most things I’ve found seem to be working from home jobs or desk jobs.

I’m having lumpectomy and node removal next week in my right hand side and would like to have some realistic goals in terms of work.

I work in a bar/restaurant so carrying plates and pulling real ale pints, carrying glasses etc.

what can I do to help my recovery, I also have 3 school age children at home so worrying about housework and getting them fed and washing and all that stuff. I have filled the freezer and made a few meals to help, but if I can’t lift them in and out of the oven without help is it pointless,?

I can have help if I want it but honestly me and my husband like to manage things our self and I want to get my head down and just get on with it alone. If people ask me how I am I won’t cope, I would rather someone say come on get up let’s go for a walk.

My husband cannot be everywhere do school runs, work, sort dinner do clubs do washing and take care of me.

Any realistic advice would be very welcome

1 Like

Hey. So I had a mastectomy 7 weeks ago so can only go on what I went through but recovery in the sense of what I could get on with after full surgery was practically everything. I rested when I could, it will help that your children will be at school during the day. You can still cook and get things out the oven. Washing I got my children to help out with hanging stuff up for the first week or so. Don’t stress about housework too much! But honestly just take each day as it comes, dont lift or carry heavy stuff and make sure you do your stretches!

3 Likes

If you work in hospitality please consider if you can take four weeks off sick. Had a masectomy and lymph node clearance on one side 18 days ago. Doing the physio but had to have the post op seroma drained twice by the BCNs, managing todo a fair bit but still being careful with any excess weight carrying.

Scar across my chest is okay the bit where it goes under my arm still sore and still very sensitive. Keep getting very upset at unexpected things even though l am glad to wave the unasked for lodger goodbye. This morning it was seeing other woman who still had two breasts to my one. Wearing any kind of prothesis is not possible due to scar being sensitive as it forms.

The physicality of carrying, being on your feet and all at work in hospitality (worked in kitchens and served front of house part time) is stressful. A masectomy can leave you super sensitive emotionally to idiotic public comments. Provided you can afford it ask your GP for a longer note for work. Expect the first two weeks to be sore, stiff and limited in movement.use the next few following days to build up some strength. Talk with your manager about making reasonable adjustments post surgery for your planned return to work. Ask about having chance to sit down and rest and not be expected to carry your usual loaded trays.

As for your kids, tell them in an age appropriate way about the surgery you will have. Ask them for their ideas of what they could do to help you and their dad. Kids can sometimes surprise us. Might be useful to show them you have special plasters on the ouch put there by the surgeon to help make it better. Seeing a big plaster is something most kids will understand covers an area that has a hurt.

For example the eldest might be able to help the youngest get dressed for school. The youngest might be able to pour cereal in a bowl and ‘make’ everyone breakfast. Let them know you would still love cuddles but could it be on the sofa on your happy side whilst your stitches and ouch heal up. Ask them to help you count your physio excercises and let them remind you to do them. Make a game of washing with you supervising if they are of an age to still need it. Throw washing over the bannister and pick up in small amounts on your good arm to put in the washing machine. ditto move one handed in small amounts into a drier. If you hang washing outside allow others to help you OR ask a responsible child for their help with pegging till you get your reach back.TBH most kids will be quietly worried about their mum but letting them know you need a bit of help from them to get better and asking if they have ideas of what could help will let them feel they can try to help you even if it’s just a bit using what they could do.

Most useful extras for those first few days, extra pillows to help protect scar and get semi comfy in bed and a floor grabbing stick used by the frailer elderly for items I dropped till I could manage the reach.

The hardest part of being a mum is when you realise your kids love you so much they want to help you out so you can get better. Try and let them even when what they can do is not perfect. Take it from me housework is very patient and it will wait for you!

Only iron the absolute essentials. Most modern clothes will be fine if you just fold them carefully once they are cupboard dry.

If you get reliable sane offers of help such as another trusted parent offering to take your children to school whilst you heal enough to either walk them or safely drive them take them up. You will then have a chance to heal and be back up and starting to run sooner rather than later. Yes it’s hard to do especially when you’re used to doing everything but it should be the first few days to two weeks you need the most extra help. I used to take a near neighbours child following an appeal to and from the school and eCRB check whilst their poorly younger child was in hospital for many weeks.

Well done on meal prepping. Carry weight on your good arm and just use the side with the masectomy to help with balance. Do use good oven gloves that cover your wrists in case of slips whilst you learn how to balance taking food out of the oven.if someone can help you with that initially- let them. It will get easier over the first two weeks.

Found the second week post masectomy physically tougher as scar etc starting to tighten together which came as a shock as I could move far more the first week. The recommended physio exercises will help you to improve movement over time.

And ask for DH to leave the tea and coffee so you can make your own whilst he works. Discovered the hard way l could not easily get the lid off the coffee jar and redecorated the entire kitchen with coffee.

sorry l have not found a way to stop people from asking how l am, so l have taken off the velvet gloves and just tell them. It’s only the very tiny handful of people who haven’t been in a similar boat who know to offer practical help or say come for a coffee or I want to drop round a meal, what has chemotheraphy left you able to face eating ?

Hope all goes as well as it can for you. In honesty the anticipation of surgery can be tougher than the reality of after surgery. Chat with or call your hospitals BCNs as they often have helpful suggestions that can help.

2 Likes

@twistandshout, Wishing you well, take good care of yourself, please accept help you cannot carry on as you did before surgery, be kind to yourself, your husband and children
do what you can but don’t overdo, one day at a time.

@twistandshout sorry press the wrong button

Take good care, wishing you well going forward with love Tili :folded_hands::rainbow::folded_hands::rainbow:

Hi there, firstly I’d like to wish you luck for your surgery. I hope it goes well.:two_hearts:

I had a lumpectomy and I felt dizzy and nauseous for about a week after surgery. I also didn’t have much energy. After about 4-5 days I felt brave enough to go for a slow walk to the local supermarket with my husband next to me for safety. Walking fast was not an option for a few weeks, as it made things feel uncomfortable for me. Don’t expect to do too much the first week. :hugs:

If you have any things that you regularly need to get out the cupboards, like plates etc, where you normally use 2 hands for….have a think, get hubby to leave things where you can access them easily. Reaching above shoulder height may be hard and painful. I had to leave the dinner plates out on the side. My kids are 13 and 18 and are tall and they could reach things that were up high ( Stretching up too high with your good arm is not a good idea).

Dinner wise, I second the previous advice…..use a good pair of oven gloves…..you will need them when you have chemo too. Take your time and try not to make dinners that are too heavy to lift out the oven…especially the first week. Also saucepans full of boiling water are heavy and pose a risk……so if need be, use 2 smaller pans, so the weight is more manageable…etc.

Re washing….I got a long handled strong shopping bag….loaded it up with 1 load of washing, dragged it along the floor…..very carefully, ( whilst holding onto the banister) bumped it down the stairs. You could tie the bag up and let it roll down the stairs if need be…..again dragged it to machine, slowly and carefully stuff it in.:joy: :rofl: . Obviously when it’s wet it will be much heavier….perhaps only take a little out at a time to hang up. I was lucky, I had an old set of pushchair wheels and I would drag the bag of washing off the kitchen step onto the wheels and then push it to the washing line ( perhaps your kids have a skateboard that you could use?). I could hang washing out, carefully and slowly using good arm to take the weight. I left the dry bag of washing at the bottom on the stairs for my kids to take up…..you could leave this for hubby to take up when he is home. Only iron what you need to.

Try and get your children to do small tasks for you. If old enough, get them to run the hoover around the middle or sweep the floor( if hard floors). The microfibre flat mops are much easier to push around a hard floor than a broom…they often have adjustable handles too. When desperate, I used an old fashioned carpet sweeper on my living room carpet ( I bought one years ago when kids were little…they used to fight over who was going to use it :joy: :rofl: :joy: ).

Hopefully you will find a new way to do things that works for you. My husband had a family emergency and had to run off for a couple of weeks, so I had to rely on my kids for a few things, including coming shopping and pulling a granny trolley(as I couldn’t drive). Some chores/tasks will just have to wait!:flexed_biceps: :two_hearts:

Remember, be kind to yourself, take things slow and steady. You will be recovering from an operation. Don’t do to much too soon, as it may set you back. Accept help when you can. Big hugs for you :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :two_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you for all the lovely reply’s and tips and support, I felt pretty good when I came home yesterday but sore today, pretty rubbish not curling up on my side to sleep or having a big stretch this morning. But I do have a full day of Netflix and a book and biscuits waiting for me. Will try and not look at the house and what’s not been done this morning :flushed_face:

1 Like

So pleased you felt well yesterday. Painkillers helped me the first few days, especially at night. It is very difficult having to learn to sleep differently.:hugs:

Enjoy your biscuits, Netflix and book. Don’t look at the house work, the world won’t end because your house will look “lived in” for a while. Rest as much as you can….gentle hugs from your kids on your good side.:two_hearts: :sunflower: :hugs:

1 Like