I can feel lymph nodes

Hi,

I had a mastectomy and 2 nodes removed in June 2022 then 17 further nodes removed with axillary node clearance in August-2 were positive in total. After 6 rounds of chemo and 15 radiotherapy-treatment finished at the end of February this year. I now take anastrazole, IV bisphosphonates and abemaciclib.

over the past few days, I have noticed 6-7 pea sized chain (or maybe smaller) down the outer part of my chest. I don’t seem to have any infection. Has anyone else experienced similar? 

I didn’t think I would have a recurrence this close to chemo/radiotherapy, and thought all the lymph nodes in this area had been removed? I contacted my breast team and have a review appointment in 2 weeks to feel them/discuss any plan

Thanks

Laura

Hi Laura

The advice I was given was not to worry unless there was a change that lasted beyond 2 weeks. It’s always wise to have things checked out and it’s good you have an appointment, also that it’s in 2 weeks’ time which suggests they are playing a waiting game (I was fitted in the next day when I contacted my team about my concerns but that may be that one of my tumours had been triple negative and those cells can be elusive). Of course, the waiting is hard but please don’t start panicking that you have skin mets till you have to and please don’t start researching them because what you find on Google is appalling.

Unfortunately, ‘recurrence’ can occur with treatment, soon after treatment, wherever it feels like it. Many patients have different forms of breast cancer simultaneously and one will respond to treatment, the other not. Thinking back, I had the early sign of my recurrence almost as soon as I was discharged (but covid came along and that delayed my even pursuing it). It also can be a change anywhere. Breast cancer doesn’t necessarily recur in the breast that often. Mine came in the medial canthus (just behind the bridge of my nose!!) and my skin mets are scattered across the back of my neck, so it’s possible there will be a different explanation for your chain of lumps.

Fingers crossed for you

Jan x