I have a cold lumpectomy and gland removal booked for Wednesday advice?

Hi
I have come down with a cold today and am booked in to have a lumpectomy and nodes/glands removed on Wednesday - I’m assuming this puts a delay on everything does anyone know what I should do? Was going to work tomorrow and tuesday should I stay home see if I can recover? It’s only a cold might they still operate- do I phone the hospital? I had my preop check on Friday with the CT scan. They can’t tell me much about the cancer until the pathology report after the operation, obviously I don’t want to hang about.Thanks

Hello Elkie

Welcome to the forums,  I’m sorry to hear of your diagnosis.

As well as the support you will receive on the forums you might find it helpful to talk things through with one of the helpline staff, they are there to offer emotional support as well as provide information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes       

June, moderator

I would stay off work and try to rest and get rid of your cold. They probably will still go ahead with your surgery, so long as you’re not chesty or particularly unwell. Good Luck x

lkie

I had the same last Tuesday when i was due to have a lumpectomy with full noode clearance.  I just took 3 days off work before and stayed at home taking hot drinks and i felt well enough to have my operation done despite having a dry cough.

I hope you manage to feel better and can go ahead with the op.

Hi, I was a bit congested when I had my WLE and node removal but this was because I’m pregnant and I’m always snuffly during pregnancy. However my surgeon and the anaesthetic guy kept on at me about how they couldn’t operate if I had a cold. I managed to convince them I didn’t and I was fine but I just thought I’d warn you that in my case they said they wouldn’t operate if I did have a cold. Rest and recover as much as you can. Good luck! Xx