I think it's back- I've found another lump

4.5 years ago I had grade 1 ER positive PR positive HER2 negative 11mm breast cancer. I had a lumpectomy (with clear margins) and 5 rounds of radiotherapy, and thankfully put it all behind me and got on with my life.
The first lump was in my left breast on the left side.

Last week, I found another lump. Nowhere near the scar. This is at the front of the breast. I also have a pain in my left shoulder (that has been x-rayed and was clear). My appointment at the breast clinic isn’t until 20th April and I am terrified.

I lump feels similar to the first one, but after being ‘so lucky’ last time, I am expecting much worse this time.

3 Likes

Hello cookies41,

Thank you for posting.

Women tell us how worrying it is to develop a new symptom after previous treatment for breast cancer. It’s understandable that you are concerned that the new breast lump you have noticed as a sign that your breast cancer has returned.

It’s important to remember that not all breast lumps or changes after treatment indicate a cancer recurrence, and many turn out to be due to benign changes or are caused by the previous treatment.

It is good that you have an appointment to be reviewed in the breast clinic, but we know how difficult it can be while you waiting to find out what the lump is. Finding a new lump after breast cancer treatment makes it hard not to focus on your previous diagnosis and the implications of a recurrence in terms of further treatment. Our tips on how to cope with stress and anxiety may help while you are waiting for your appointment.

It’s natural that you were also concerned about pain in your left shoulder but good that your x-ray was clear.

Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to more support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks. The number is 0808 800 6000, (Relay UK -prefix 18001).

If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. To do this, please complete this form ticking the box agreeing to a call back.

Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturday.

Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.

Best wishes

Mandy

Breast Care Nurse

Please read the Ask Our Nurses disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy

As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.