Ibandronic Acid and Heartburn

Hi all,

I am currently going through the Hormone Therapy stage of my treatment, currently taking Anastozole, Ibandronic Acid and a vitamin D3 tablet, started just over a year ago.

Month ago had a prescription review with my GP and I mentioned I just had a little bit of heartburn now and again, nothing chronic. However, it was advised I take some lansoprazole because the Ibandronic acid was causing the acid reflux.

Unfortunately, I had a bad reaction to the drug (really dizzy, spaced out, diarrhea, headaches and fatgiue), so it was decided to stop the lansoprazole and take some over the counter medication if the heartburn came back. However, the heartburn that was not a regular problem became a daily problem, so thought it best to go back to my GPs and they prescribed Famotidine.

At first the Famotidine seemed to work, but sadly four days later same problem. I have had to stop the drug and wait for a call with my oncologist, and my heartburn, for some reason, has now come back even worse.

Has anyone suffered with heartburn while on Ibandronic Acid and if so how was it resolved? Is there alternative to Ibandronic Acid I could take? Grateful for an info.

An upside to this, the heartburn tablets have helped with the side effects of insomnia from the Anastrozole, so at least I’m getting some sleep at the moment.

Thank you and all the best.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum ,I’m sorry you’ve not had a reply so far , you could maybe post in the Ask our Nurses your questions section about this , see if they have any advice ?

1 Like

Are you taking tablets of ibandronic acid or having infusions? The tablet version can give hearburn but the infusion version is safer as it doesn’t cause this side effect. A GP I know said her mother had probably got another cancer as a result of taking the tablet version so I was glad to steer clear of it.

Seagulls

1 Like

Thank you for coming back to me, really appreciate it.

I was on the tablet, but after speaking with my oncologist regarding the heartburn issue she told me to stop taking the tablet immediately and I will now be having the Ibandronic acid as an infusion, which sounds the much better option.

Dear Beckster

Good news

Seagulls

1 Like