im worried out of my mind.

hi im 22 iv got two children a boy 17months old and a girl 3yrs old, i went to the doctors yesterday after finding a lump in my left breast, the doctor asked me what was the matter so i said and he was asking questions like is it red sore, any historys of anything on the breasts in the family? i answered no to all except my nan having breast cancer, it seemed like he was trying to diagnois my problem without having to touch me, he called for the nurse who came in examined me and called the doc who stayed sat down behind his desk and replied with il just get my gloves, im not infected i thought and the nurse looked as though to say for gods sake. he came to me felt it and said yes theres a lump thank you to the nurse. we sat back down and he said il transfer you to a consultant and wanted me to go but i asked for a depo jab for controception, he asked me can i wait till next month after i just told him id had my first day of my monthy period. i said no i thats a month away i dont want to get get pregnant so he rang the nurse again and said can you do a depo monday for this girl and she wants one of them now. well i felt awkard him using those words, the nurse thats fine il do it today so i went next door got my depo out of the chemist and sat down waiting. the nurse called me and i went in and she asked me to stand on scales as i did she said what happened about the lump afterwhich i replied with not sure he said he’l refer me, she checked on her computer and he’d not even wrote any notes on me yet. so she called another doctor in and asked him to examine me. he said worried you was right to come to us as no girl at my age should have a lump like that, well i was scared by now and he and the nurse were saying they will fax it through so i can get seen quicker within a week hopefully, i filled up crying petrified that i could have cancer and they comforted me and said fingers crossed you will get the all clear. well i walked home sobbing my heart out and my partner was very worried about the state i was in. i hope i can get seen alot quicker and not have to wait long as i am really worried. have i got breast cancer at my age?

Shell
Sorry you had such a lousy day, sounds like the first GP was pretty rubbish. I’m glad the nurse was better, and you are getting referred.

You must be feeling upset and confused, but you have done the right thing. No one can tell you what the lump is until you have it looked at, but remember, most lumps are NOT cancer. Try not to let your imagination run away with you, go to the appt and just take it a day at a time.

I’m a lot older than you (50) but just wanted to respond, I know how horrid the worry is.

Take care, Shell, I hope the appt comes through for you soon,

Lizzie

hi thank you for your comments i think its a scary thing to be facing and for those who have been diagnoised with it are strong people and i have respect all of you and wish you all the best too. i hope its not bc i can only wait, i think its having my kids around that makes me worrie more as its not just me to think about if anything was to go wrong with me, my doc was a new one and didnt want to no but the other one and his wife the nurse they were fantastic so comforting and caring, i hope i get an app asap to put my mind at rest. michelle x

Hi shell09

I am sorry to read you’re having such a worrying time at the moment. If you would like to talk to someone for extra support do give the BCC helpline a call and one of our trained members of staff will be happy to offer you a ‘listening ear’ as well information if required. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to friday 9am to 5pm and Saturday 9am to 2pm.

You may also find it helpful to read the BCC booklet on ‘referral to breast clinic’, it will explain about the different tests you may have when you attend your appointment. If you would like a copy just follow this link:-

breastcancercare.org.uk/uplo … b_08_0.pdf

I hope you find this helpful

Kind regards
Sam (BCC Facilitator)

hi thank you both for your comments iv got my app already it came yesterday which is very good as i only went the doctors the day before, im booked into pontypool on the 29th of june which i am very pleased to have it so soon, i just can not wait to get it over with, i hate my body myself so to reveal my self to strangers once again is worrying me again but i no i have to do it, not just for myself but for my kids. fingers crossed its something mild wrong and can be solved easy. thank you once again for your comments x

hi Shell09, Just to echo what the others have said, and I hope you don’t worry too much. There are apparently lots of lumps that are not serious at all, so try not to think too much about it at this stage. I found the waiting for an appointment very hard, and I phoned up the clinic number on the off-chance they had an earlier cancellation. The girl on the phone was very kind and siad they didn’t but suggested I phone twice a day, once early in the morning an once in the afternoon. I was lucky and managed to get my appointment moved forward by a couple of weeks by doing this. Good luck anyway.
Scottiedog

Hi Shell …I am a lot lot older than you but its a worry just the same …not all lumps are cancer as previously posted we have all got our fingers crossed for you on here and hoping the all clear for you xxxxx Maz

Keeping my fingers crossed for you Shell

Love and best wishes Judy x

thank you all for your wishes and support, iv been reading up alot on what will happen at my app my biggest fear is taking my top off i find it really hard as after two children im not very confident at all and thats the biggest part i have to do is sike myself up for that and the results off course thats my biggest worry too. but it has to be done so no point in worrying. my partner wants to come with me but i said not in the room as i find it hard enough with them looking let alone knowing hes watching too, it sounds silly but its how i feel he was like no im coming in with you but i said no they’l prob make you wait outside anyway. i just want to get in there do what they have to do then get out.