Implant uncomfortable

Hi
I had a left mastectomy with immediate silicone implant in October 23, I’ve made a fairly good recovery apart from the implant being hard and uncomfortable. It also sits much higher on my chest than my other breast. I am 65 so the other side is quite droopy. Even when dressed and wearing a bra the asymmetry is obvious. I saw my surgeon recently and she has offered me several options including plastic surgery and a new implant. My gut feeling is to just have the implant removed and wear a prosthesis, but she seemed quite surprised when I said that.
I’d love to hear from anyone who has had an implant removed, how was the recovery afterwards? Also, how easy is it to achieve a symmetrical appearance using a prosthesis? I am a cup size C - D.

2 Likes

I had the same problem - twice. It’s called capsular contraction and it felt as though the whole implant was moving upwards and hardening until it was pushing into the chest wall. I decided I still wanted a natural breast shape and I opted for the flap diep surgery. I did think long and hard before proceeding as another major op, but the upside was I also got a tummy tuck! It went really well. That was 7 years ago. I was 53 at the time. For me it was the best thing to do, but at the end it’s an individual decision based on your circumstances and feelings about it. Best wishes whatever you decide

3 Likes

Thanks popsicle, that’s great that your reconstructive surgery has worked out so well for you. As you say it’s major surgery, so need to have a good think about it. At the moment the implant is so hard and uncomfortable I just want it out. I’m a bit worried about how the skin will be when it’s removed, because it’s been quite stretched over the implant.

2 Likes

I had capsular contraction and had implantsremoved and replaced by smaller ones. It feels much softer and looks good.

2 Likes

I first had one mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. The implant was a little too high and too big and the skin too tight. But within 9 months I needed another mastectomy (new cancer) and had immediate reconstruction on that side and had the first implant removed which worked out well and much better for me. Recovery was very quick. For me changing the first implant was definitely worth doing.

2 Likes

Hi Christine, that’s great that your new implant is more comfortable and better for you. I’ve decided to have mine removed and go flat, I really don’t want to risk more surgery. I’m 65 and have had enough of hospitals. I hope I’ve made the right decision but you can never know until it’s done.

1 Like

I had left Mastectomy 3 weeks ago with immediate reconstruction with permanent expander implant under chest wall with mesh
I’m due to start filling it with Saline in 2 weeks, but it is already so uncomfortable and rock hard and lumpy Im struggling to imagine it even bigger and harder.
I wonder if any of you found if these type of implants settle down with time ?
I had previously had cosmetic silicone implants 14 years ago, and whilst the surgery was very painful the results were much softer and natural looking.
I’m tempted to just get rid of both implants and go flat on my Mastectomy side, as I’ve been told I’m not a great candidate for DIEP surgery due to being quite petite
Basically, does anyone have a good experience of these kids and of implants ?

1 Like

Hi Caron, I would see how you feel after a month or so, three weeks after surgery isn’t very long and it might settle down. Have you had a follow up appointment yet with the surgeon? It’s worth getting the surgeon to check it out if it continues to be so uncomfortable. I know many people get on fine with implants, I didn’t but I’m pretty sure my problems started after the radiotherapy. I’m having mine out in two weeks time and I’m hoping I’ll cope with a simple prosthesis xx

1 Like

Thanks so much for replying , I’m sorry to hear you’ve got to have your implants removed. More surgery is probably the last thing you feel like right now.
I saw my consultant last week, and asked if it was fluid and swelling that was causing me so much discomfort , and he said no, that’s the implant!
When I said how hard and uncomfortable they felt he said "you wait until we start filling them up, it will get even harder, " which obviously hasn’t filled me with confidence :joy:
I’m trying to be patient, I think Im going to wait a month or so after the filling process is done and then decide… But I’m yet to find anyone who has had these particular type of implants who sticks with them, which is a bit of a worry!

I also had a silicone implant immediately after right mastectomy and I was very happy with the result. What surgeons don’t tell is that there are changes still happening afterwards. I saw a bit of retraction during chemo and my right breast was a bit smaller and after radio I find it harder. I lost some weight during all these treatments and it helped to keep a symetry so it’s not so bad overall but I would have liked to be told during all those conversations prior to the op. I will keep the implant for now as I don’t want to be flat and I don’t want to have a big diep flap surgery as I’m at high risk for the cancer to come back

1 Like

@marie911 it’s a shame those risks weren’t explained to you at the time. My surgeon was very clear that implants and skin were highly likely to be affected by radiotherapy,
Which I think is part of the reason I wasn’t offered a silicone implant, but instead an expander implant that gets gradually filled with saline. He did explain it would be very painful and uncomfortable, Im just not sure how long for !
It feels like you have to make so many big decisions, just when your brain has decided to melt away. I guess we all just do our best at the time.