Implant Vs DIEP

Hi

I have been told that I will need to have a masectomy.  I would like to have reconstruction but trying to decide whether to have an implant or a DIEP.  If anyone has had any of these or thinking of having, it would be great to hear your thoughts. Thank you 

@SonyaC  - first of all welcome to this lovely forum. You may want to look or post in the surgery part of the forum to reach out to more people, and you will find previous chats about all reconstruction options there too.

I’m going to add a link to another chat I’ve just been involved with - forum.breastcancernow.org/t5/Surgery/Masectomy-amp-implant-reconstruction/m-p/1412756#M66973 in case that helps. Please feel free to ask any questions and I wish you all the very best with your decision. 

Evie

Hi SonyaC

I was diagnosed end of July 22 with lobular and ductile cancer Her 2 negative ER positive. My MRI showed another 2 further suspicious areas which I had to have further scans for. They managed to find one of the suspicious areas on the scan and took a biopsy which showed cancer. The MD team made the decision that a mastectomy was the best option.

I was given the choice of a mastectomy with an immediate reconstruction. During my consultation the BC nurse and consultant went through all the options, implant, diep or flat.
I know I didn’t want an implant as I didn’t like the look or feel of it. I am 53 years old and I feel an implant would have looked completely out of place on my body. I really struggled though in deciding whether to have the diep or stay flat and spent many a nights awake thinking and weighing up options. I initially had reservations about the diep for the following reasons:

Length of surgery and being under general anaesthetic for 8-9 hours

Something going wrong during surgery and the operation failing

I also had moments of sheer guilt and selfishness in wanting the diep as my thoughts were: the primary aim is to remove the cancer which the mastectomy will do, having the diep was merely for cosmetic reasons and optional.

After several discussions with the BC nurse and consultant and many days and nights spent awake pondering and weighing up my options I decided to have a mastectomy with immediate diep reconstruction.

I had my surgery in Oct, I am now 8 weeks post op, it was the right decision for me, no doubt. The surgery and recovery is exactly as the BC nurses tell you. It’s tough for the first few days, but then everyday after is one step further to full recovery. 

My body looks and feels different, I have a new pert breast but no nipple and a tight flat stomach which is great! I may consider nipple tattooing at a later date but for now I’m happy. The surgeons have done a great job. The scars have healed well. 

I now know had I opted just for a mastectomy, I would always have been left wondering…

whatever you decide it has to be a decision that is right for you, there are many factors to take into consideration. I will be happy to discuss this with you privately if you wish as I found speaking to other women who had been through similar experiences very helpful.

There is a service on Breast cancer now called “Someone like me” whom I contacted for support. They put me in touch with someone who had been through the procedure. I found talking to her really helped me in making my decision.

I wish you all the best. Take care

2 Likes