Inflamed gum

Hi ladies I’m currently having chemotherapy and it just seems like as soon as one side effects eases off another starts! I’ve been meticulous about my oral care but just before chemotherapy I had a small chip on one of my back wisdom teeth, The dentist checked it out in January and as there was no internal damage to the tooth he said it was ok to start chemotherapy. I’m now half way through chemo and a few days ago noticed some pain coming from the gum where that particular tooth is. I thought maybe I’d just brushed too hard. But now the gum is throbbing, red and swollen , no tooth pain just the gum line. I’ve started to use the mouthwash and I’m keeping an eye on my temperature.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is it just a sore gum? an infection? I’m even getting scared if to could lead to sepsis! You know that every little thing gets bigger in your mind!
Any advice would be great as I really don’t want to tell the nurses incase it delays my chemotherapy again , which happened on my last cycle for another reason.
Having 3 more cycles to go I’m wondering whether to risk it and try to keep the situation under control or let them know and possibly delay my chemotherapy.

2 Likes

If it doesn’t settle could you ask your dentist to look at it and get their opinion. It’s really tricky when you have all your dates in your head I personally wouldn’t risk it if it doesnt settle.
Fingers crossed you’ve just knocked the gum and the mouthwash does the trick x

1 Like

Swishing your mouth with two or three teaspoons of apple cider vinegar helps kill bacteria and reduce infection, pain, and inflammation
I’ve used this in the past and it works! …I too had a small chip on the corner next to my molar were food particles would get trapped, which led to inflammation. Had it filled 3 weeks ago pending Chemo. Good luck x

1 Like

Hello, I could have written your post yesterday! I had terrible mucositis which has cleared up with difflam, but my gum hurt near the wisdom tooth. I thought I could see pus (sorry too much info!) so called my acute oncology line and they arranged for me to get some antibiotics just in case. Might be worth giving them a call. My tooth was similar, the dentist wasn’t worried about it before I started chemo just said it had to come out in the next two years. I’m using difflam, salt water rinses and brushing after every meal with a soft brush. Hope it gets better for you x

2 Likes

Hi Ruthio, thanks for the advice. What’s difflam and where do you get it from? Also if I take antibiotics does it stop the chemo?

1 Like

Strawberrytart29 :heart: lots over the years have ended up having antibiotics for one infection or another during chemo, best to check with your team and also dentist just in case antibiotics are required :heart::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

2 Likes

Thank you Shi, I will contact the team :))

1 Like

Difflam is a special mouthwash, I got it from the oncology nurse and it has really cleared up most of the problems I had. I asked the nurse today if antibiotics would delay my chemo next week (this is my first cycle) and she said it probably wouldn’t, it would depend on the blood test results anyway. I’m due my next infusion on Friday. Hope you get it sorted! Xx

2 Likes

Thank you Ruthio:))

2 Likes

My consultant advised me to mouth wash with a teaspoon of baking soda, and a teaspoon of salt mixed in water, I never had any issues and used it day and night when up for the loo, worked a treat . I made it up in a bottle and used it then changed it of a morning x

2 Likes

I had this, exactly as you describe. It makes you miserable. I told my oncologist and next time I went in a little early and he had had some special anti-biotic drink made for me, and then I was on antibiotics for about a week. It came back a little time but the pills zapped it and it soon cleared up. I know just how you feel, its all the little niggles that get you down. Hang in there, one foot after the other and it WILL be at end.

1 Like