Info please

Hi All
I’m Carl husband of wife who as BC
Not sure where I start as i’m not good at writing

First about 4 weeks ago my wife was told she had BC. Surgery was booked for 10 days ago. Told they would re-move the lump from right breats and also remove her nodes. This they did. But when she came home, she noticed that the lump was still there and wondered why they had left it in.
Last Friday we went for the results which are-
Size Tumour 24mm
Type Grade 2
Other features are -
Lobulare caranoma, there are multiple, smaller loci lobular caranoma in siti. invokes margins
Oestrogen positive
HER2 negative
Nodes removed 6, all 6 clear

Now she goes for a mastectomy on the 10th November

Does anyone understand this
many thianks to all and wish you all well

Hi there tioptornado

Firstly, welcome to the forums, I am sure both you and your wife will find them a great source of information and support.

You might be interested in our resources pack for those newly diagnosed with breast cancer. It’s filled with information to help you better understand diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available.

Here’s the link to the page where the pack can be ordered through the site:

breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/diagnosed-with-breast-cancer/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/82/

I do hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes.

Louise
Facilitator

Hi Carl, First off, I’m sorry you and your wife are going through this - she’s lucky to have a partner who will ask questions for her and support her through this.

I can’t answer your questions, I’m very newly diagnosed myself, and just don’t know anything much - but does your wife has the contact number for her breast care nurse? It would be worthwhile calling the nurse and asking for clarification, I’m sure she would be able to help you both understand what has happened, and why the mastectomy is now necessary. I know that I’ve been offered the choice between lumpectomy or mastectomy, but was told that if the lumpectomy was not enough, I would have to go back in for a mastectomy a couple of weeks later - they wouldn’t just go ahead and remove the breast during the first op, so I’m wondering if maybe that’s what has happened.

Please get in contact with either your wife’s breast care nurse, or indeed the consultant - you shouldn’t have to live with these concerns if they are easily explainable.

Take care

Sophie