Introduction hello everyone

Hi everyone
I had my first ever mammogram four weeks ago, and thought nothing more of it. I had no obvious lumps etc. A week later I got a letter asking me to go for further tests. I had another mammogram, ultrasound and a biopsy.
This week, I went back for my results and have been told I have invasive breast cancer. Never on earth would I have thought it!
I think I have been through every emotion possible since Tuesday. I am already booked in to see the surgeon on Monday which I am thankful for, I just canā€™t get my head around any of this as I always thought I would have symptoms of some kind. Iā€™m glad that the nurse gave me the details of this group and I donā€™t feel so alone after reading through the forum.
Xx

4 Likes

Welcome @butterfly28 Iā€™m glad you have found us, you will find much support here.

Itā€™s a shock, isnā€™t it? I was 66 and had had many 3-yearly mammograms previously and always walked confidently away thinking ā€œticked that box for a whileā€. In actual fact, I was away from home at the time so never saw the recall letter. If it hadnā€™t have been for a call from the hospital to check I was attending the next dayā€™s appointment, Iā€™d have missed it. As it was, it was a mad dash back to London the morning after, thinking ā€œwhat the hell? This HAS to be a mistakeā€ only to have the same procedures as youā€™ve just had. They told me there and then that it was cancer but the biopsy analysis will tell them what kind. The tumour was small and not palpable to even the experienced medics. So I completely empathise with your shock at what has happened.

Waiting for results is the hardest part. It is easy for your mind to go to the darkest place when, the reality is, most primary breast cancers are treatable and the majority of women (and men) go on to have recurrence-free lives.

You havenā€™t said too much about yourself (which is absolutely fine!) but you can find threads on the forum specific to yourself in most cases, for example there is a thread for younger women and there are threads for each type of treatment, once you know your treatment plan. Feel free to use the forum to ask questions, to have a rant or just to engage with people who have been through what you are going through and properly understand.

2 Likes

Hello butterfly28! Coming here is a good start and I wish I had found it at the beginning. I found my lump lsat September, a year after a clear mastectomy. Similarly to you, was referred quickly for mammogram, ultrasound and biopsy and 10 days later given the diagnosis of invasive lobular cancer. I think ILC is difficult to quantify and I ended up being referred for an MRI, which then identified two more areas to check out. So back for another ultrasound. The two other areas were smaller, and DCIS. I was recommended a mastectomy and I chose to have a DIEP flap reconstruction. After further scans and appointments the surgery was done 4 weeks ago, 14 weeks after initial diagnosis. Itā€™s been a long process of waiting and worrying. I kept asking if the delay would have any consequences (ie further spread) and was reassured it wouldnā€™t. If Iā€™d had an implant the surgery would have been done sooner, but the DIEP flap takes longer to plan and requires two teams of surgeons. Though it has been a gruelling process and the stuffing was knocked out of me Iā€™m now recovering well and feeling better,and my new boob is lovely!
There was no spread and the margins are clear and Iā€™ve just been told Iā€™ll only need radiotherapy not chemo, so thatā€™s good and there is light at the end of the tunnel.
Please try not to panic, the cancer will be treatable, just keep asking the questions, and be ready for the gaps in between anything happening. I found Rosamund Deanā€™s book ā€˜Reconstructionā€™ massively helpful and practical on all aspects and am not consulting it to help with radiotherapy, hormone therapy, and simply getting my life back on track.
Good luck, I hope all goes wellā€¦deep breaths! xx

2 Likes

Hello @butterfly28

I could have written your post pretty much word for word almost 3 years ago, I wish Iā€™d known about this forum then but instead it took me a few months (and a lot of emotional trauma) to come online and join the community.

There is no getting away from receiving a diagnosis in which ever way you get it is absolutely awful, but you will get through it :kissing_heart:

Please donā€™t ever feel like you canā€™t post or ask a question: if it matters to you it matters! The forum is fabulous but thereā€™s nothing quite like a face to face chat with someone so Iā€™d encourage you to seek out local support groups too

Wishing you all the best with your treatment
We are all here for you

AM xxx

2 Likes

Hello @butterfly28
I was diagnosed with IDC er pr her2 positive last October, I had a lumpectomy December 23, I decided to keep a journal as I was going through so much and felt so traumatised I just had to write it all down to get it out of my system, I had so many scans due to hot spots coming up on Pet scan, which fortunately turned out to be simple incidental findings, my liver had to be checked, I had thyroid biopsy, all fine thankfully. My referral for oncology was apparently not received, after making a formal complaint to the hospital after hearing nothing for so long I finally got an oncology appointment and start chemo next week. My advice would be that the first weeks after diagnosis are the worst, write down your feelings, waiting is horrid, once your treatment is set it gets better but keep on top of it all, speak out for yourself and ask questions. This is your life. Many lovely people are around you and going through this awful time along side you. Good luck and lots of love x

2 Likes

Hi
Oh my goodness this is going to be a long oneā€¦ā€¦My diagnosis is something I have only shared with my husband. Iā€™ll admit itā€™s pretty tough not being able to speak to anyone about it. However itā€™s my choice. So here goesā€¦
I went to see my GP in December as I had a strange warm feeling/sensation in my RIGHT breast. I was due a routine mammogram so was referred to the breast clinic. My husband was aware of it but I didnā€™t mention it to my family, it was Christmas after all!
On December 27th my daughter (sheā€™s 44) came to see me to say that she had been diagnosed with breast cancer in November and was awaiting surgery. Like me she didnā€™t want to spoil Christmas either.
As you can imagine as a family it was devastating to hear. I still find it difficult to talk about. When she told me I was waiting for my mammogram at the time and still not having said anything to anyone.
I had my mammogram on February 2nd, unfortunately the consultant wasnā€™t happy with what he saw in my LEFT breast! I then had a further mammogram, a 3D scan plus an ultrasound. I then had a biopsy and two weeks later confirmed 10mm Grade 2 invasive ductal cancer HER2 negative. I could not believe what was actually happening. I am having the Magseed and Magtrace procedure this Monday in preparation for my lumpectomy on Thursday. I still havenā€™t told my family, I really donā€™t want to add anymore worry. If I have to tell them no doubt theyā€™ll be angry but Iā€™m just going to have to take it. I hope they understand that all Iā€™m doing is trying to protect them. I will say my husband supports my decision just to keep it to myself . I would like my daughter just to be able to concentrate on herself especially as sheā€™s just had her first round of chemoā€¦and my other daughter just to concentrate on her sisterā€¦.
As for me, my breast cancer is like itā€™s not happening, just something going on in the background.

Love and hugs to everyone x

7 Likes

Hello @mary561

Welcome to the forum, oh my goodness I really feel for you and your daughter going through a diagnosis and treatment at the same time.

Your decisions are yours alone: yes you are a breast cancer patient but you are also a mum a wife the list goes onā€¦please feel free to lean on us to support you and you may want to join in some in person groups too

Sending you lots of love
AM xxx

2 Likes

Hi AM

Thank you so much for your response! It feels I now have someone on the outside aware of whatā€™s going on.
I think joining some in support groups would be a good thing. Any suggestions would be great.

xxx

3 Likes

Hello again @mary561

Your BCN should have details of local groups: I was handed a series of leaflets when I was diagnosed (and promptly threw them in the bin thinking I didnā€™t need any of them: how wrong was I?!) the groups are often run by MacMillan, Breast Cancer Now and Maggieā€™s

I eventually joined an online group which was run by Maggieā€™s, if you are lucky enough to live near one I would highly recommend just popping in they are truly beautiful places.

AM xxx

1 Like

Hello again

Thanks for the info, Iā€™ll certainly look into it online, also speak with my BCN on Thursday when I have my lumpectomyā€¦.eek

Thank you again xxx

Hi Butterfly :butterfly:

Yes, itā€™s certainly a shocker, especially when there arenā€™t any symptoms. I was absolutely floored when they said they had found something ā€œwe donā€™t like the look ofā€. I thought this cannot be happening, especially as my daughter had been diagnosed with BC in December (thatā€™s another story) ā€¦ā€¦

The two weeks between my biopsy and diagnosis were absolutely horrendous. Against my better judgment I went down the Google rabbit hole which isnā€™t good at all. One day I literally lost the plot and had a total meltdown, crying, shouting etcā€¦:see_no_evil:
Once I received my diagnosis, for whatever reason it made me feel better, crazy I know! I have been dealing with it with an inner strength I didnā€™t know I had. I can assure you I would never ever describe myself strong at all and neither would anyone close to me.
Iā€™m having my lumpectomy on Thursday and will just have to go from there.

I do hope the appointment with your surgeon went well, if there is such a thing!
I found mine quite positive. Also she was such a lovely lady, I just wanted to give her a hug. She gave me a better understanding of whatā€™re going on.

Take care of yourself

Sending love and hugs xxx

1 Like

What a wonderful considerate mother you are. It is important you have support too. Sending you my very best wishes :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like