Surgery today for lymph node removal and lumpectomy, I’ve searched online and read all my leaflets but I can’t seem to find how much bleeding is a little and ok. I’m about 6 hours post op and just had a look at my dressings. Is this considered ok or should I see if it’s worse tomorrow and tell someone. Other than this small panic I’m feeling really good, just tired now and need a sleep.
I see now that this is a question for the nurses, and I am sorry, but I am not one of them. I was going to say if there is no further fresh bleeding and your breast and area around dressing is soft, I do not think you should be concerned. I wish you well with your recovery.
It’s normal for there to be some bleeding after surgery from around the wound and on to the dressing covering it.
As the dressing isn’t completely soaked, this does look within the normal limits as @mell.5 has mentioned. However, if you remain concerned, notice any further bleeding or swelling it’s important to contact your breast care nurses or treatment team for further advice. They would arrange to see you if necessary.
Do call our helpline if you would like to talk this through or have any further questions. The helpline team have time to listen, talk things through and signpost you to additional support and information if necessary. Your call will be confidential, and the number is free from UK landlines and all mobile networks.
We also offer a range of free supportive services which you may be interested in both now and in the future. They include face to face and online courses and events.
Our number is 0808 800 6000. If you have hearing or speech difficulties dial 18001 followed by our number and the call will go through Relay UK. Our helpline has access to telephone interpreters if language translation is required.
If you would prefer one of our nurses to call you. Please complete thisformticking the box agreeing to a call back.
Our usual opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am - 4pm and 9am -1pm on Saturdays.
We are closed on English bank holidays.
Out of hours you can leave a message and we will call you back when we next open.
Best wishes,
Catherine
Breast Care Nurse
Please read the disclaimer Full details on how we collect and use your data can be found in our Privacy Policy
As we are unable to monitor for further replies, this thread will now be closed. If you have any additional questions or would like to provide feedback, please start a new thread, call our helpline, email us or request a call back.