Is this normal?

I was diagnosed last September and had a small lump removed from my left breast. The first op missed the tumour so 6 weeks later I had to return. The second op successfully removed the cancer and I then had 15 rounds of rad. I took 2 months off from teaching job then returned to work full time. I threw myself in to work and had very little time to dwell on things. I was originally prescribed letrozole but I changed to tamoxifen about a month ago. I feel so lethargic and “down” now I have broken up for the summer. Then I feel guilty for feeling like this when I have been so lucky to catch the cancer early etc. could it be the tamoxifen making me feel this way. I feel that life is passing me by and I should be making the most of it. I’m 50 next year and want to just get on with living. I just don’t seem to be able to motivate myself and without warning I find myself getting tearful. Will this pass?

Hi Max1ne

Whilst you are waiting for the other users to reply with their experiences and support do give the helpline a call on 0808 800 6000.  Here you can talk through how you are feeling with a member of staff who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  Lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Thank you x

Hi Max1ne

I was diagnosed in March this year and had lumpectomy and 3 weeks of rads and am feeling well and positive now and happy to have dodged a bullet as I see it, but I was warned it can all hit you later on and catch you by surprise so what you are feeling now sounds pretty normal to me, we’ve been through an enormous amount and of course we are elated to have come through it and keen to get on with normality again but we probably don’t allow ourselves time to take in what has happened which is why it catches up with us, I expect you are coming up to your annual check up which may be contributing to how you are feeling, hopefully you will be feeling brighter soon and in the mean time we are all here to chat to ? love Jo xxx

Thank you Jo. I think you’re right. I was so determined and positive throughout my treatment which is why these feelings have taken me by surprise and are confusing me. I have so much to be grateful for and I am. Two of my close friends have lost their husbands. One suddenly and the other to cancer so I feel as though I can’t tell them how I’m feeling. My own family are just so happy that all is well again they can’t understand why I wouldn’t be happy now. It certainly is a roller coaster of emotions. X

Hi Max1ne

I was diagnosed last September with breast cancer and had a double mastectomy and reconstruction at the end of October. Like yourself I got through the ‘op’ and felt so relieved and grateful to have the cancer removed but now some nine months later I am feeling pretty low and tearful and am on tamoxifen also. I would like you to know that you are not alone with such feelings - I keep telling myself that I should feel better than I do but emotionally it is very difficult - I am sure, given some more time, ones like ourselves will come through the other end and feel more motivated and able to move on more easily. I can very much relate to how you are feeling because I am going through similar feelings - I am 52.

Thank you Diamond. Your words are so comforting. I hope you can also find the strength you need to get through this next chapter. I’ve decided to write a bucket list and to begin working my way through it. I wish you well x

Hello. I had BC ten years ago and totally understand what you are going through. Please don;t worry too much - it is quite normal for your body to want to relax and slow down. Thinking of you. xxx