I've had some very good news today!

I’ve had some very good news today! I was initially diagnosed with secondary TNBC. I had nothing in my breasts but I had cancerous lymph nodes in my left armpit and “suspicious” nodules in my lungs. I started chemotherapy (Abraxane) and immunotherapy (Atezolizumab) – the palliative dose - in June – three weeks on and one week off.
My last scan showed that the lung nodules had not changed – so it was decided they were probably benign. So I was re-diagnosed as primary TNBC. Because the tumour in my armpit had reduced considerably in size the oncologist felt there was no need to increase my chemo dosage. So during my 6 months treatment I have only had minor side effects.
My scan results arrived just in time before my appointment with the oncologist (Pavlos – a lovely Greek gentleman) at 1220h today! The previous good news was confirmed! The pulmonary nodules have not changed so they are now almost certain to be benign. (They are too small to biopsy). The lymph nodes in my left armpit are stable, so he has referred me to the breast surgeon and we will decide whether or not I need surgery to remove any lymph nodes. I think it is unlikely that this will be necessary as the lump seems to have disappeared. I will ask him if I can have another biopsy just to double check. So I don’t need any more chemo – I had 6 cycles. I will continue with immunotherapy for as long as I need it but it will only be every 4 weeks – so that will be easier for me. Also, he said that I can take breaks to have surgery. I need surgery for two small umbilical hernias and I am also hoping to have something called the Stretta Procedure St George’s develops UK first anti-reflux surgery service - St George's University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust to stop acid reflux and save me having to take medication for this.
Incidental findings
When they put you in that scanner they find all sorts of things! Last time they found fractures of T1, T2 and T3 vertebrae!
The recent scan showed that the vertebral fractures are stable and are osteoporotic and not due to secondary cancer. However, I will have an MRI scan of my bones just to be absolutely sure. I am really grateful that my scans have showed this up, or I would never have known I had it - as the fractures don’t really hurt. So, I have had a DEXA scan and am awaiting the results. I should then get the appropriate treatment to prevent the osteoporosis worsening.
Each scan has showed bowel problems but this one actually identified this as diverticulosis which I am not surprised about as I have all the symptoms. I already have IBS. So as long as I eat a good healthy diet with plenty of fibre, I should manage to avoid getting any infections in my bowel.
The third incidental finding was Stage 1 emphysema (on the first scan) which must have just been caused by environmental pollution as I have never smoked, lived with a smoker or worked in a dusty environment. I have no symptoms of this at all at the moment, but it will probably get worse as I get older. I will have to try and avoid air pollution!
I was also tested for the following genes: BRCA1, BRCA 2, PALB2, ATM, CHEK2, RAD51C and RAD51D – which all showed that a genetic cause for my cancer has NOT been identified. Therefore, my 3 sisters and also their offspring do not have a greater risk than normal of getting breast cancer.
Considering I began my treatment thinking I had secondary triple negative breast cancer which is incurable - the fact that it is now classed as primary and I am virtually cured is a miracle! I thanked Pavlos for his help and told him I felt it was due to a combination of modern medicine and prayer. He agreed with me and indicated that, at the end of the day, the outcome was determined by “somebody up there” :blush: He then gave me a big hug!
Afterwards hubby and I went out to lunch to celebrate!

29 Likes

Amazing news!!! So lovely to read this. Take care xxx

5 Likes

I am so happy for you. God is good and has placed you in the care of a good doctor. Such lovely news for you and your family x

6 Likes

Such good news for you. A positive attitude, an enquiring mind and a good dose of faith works wonders - oh and brilliant doctors/medical team!

4 Likes

:heart: thank you so much for sharing on here, the hope you’ve shared will reach more than you will ever know :heart::two_hearts::two_hearts::sparkles::sparkles:Shi xx

2 Likes

Fantastic news for you. You must be feeling so good.:purple_heart::purple_heart:

3 Likes

What wonderful news! Prayer is powerful, God is good, and miracles do happen! God bless you. Xxx

4 Likes

Wonderful news! Congratulations :confetti_ball:

4 Likes

Wonderful news, congratulations. Prayer is a wonderful thing xx

3 Likes

Fantastic news for you and your family. Keep positive and think yourself well - positive mind leads to a positive outcome. Sending love. Xx

2 Likes

That’s amazing news congratulations!

2 Likes