Joint issues and Tendonitis in hands after Letrozole

I started Letrozole in November but was taken off them at the end of February due to having joint aches and pains, particularly in the morning they are really stiff. Also developed Tendonitis in both hand at the base of the thumb/ wrist. I was hoping by stopping the meds they would improve but hasn’t. I am also on hormone suppressors (Zoladex), and Zometa.

I am also trying acupuncture now too and see if that will help.

Has anyone experienced this and how they have dealt with it?

1 Like

I started taking Letrazole following my diagnosis and pre surgery, so since mid August last year. I’ve experienced severe pains in my thighs. Hips. Knees, i do have arthritis and osteoporosis however along with daily exercises to help strengthen my Quadriceps & glutes, the occasional pain killer-codeine phosphate and Diclofenac diethylamine gel, I’m able to keep mobile and active. I have another 4yrs to go and do not want to stop my HRT. I had stage 2 bc, lumpectomy conserving surgery & 3 lymph nodes removed. I stay positive and exercise daily.

Hi @hopingitsok , I developed carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand( triangle between thumb and first finger) on Letrozole. I stopped Letrozole after 11months in October 2024. The Carpal tunnel syndrome has persisted. I have not tried acupuncture.

It must be really frustrating that your symptoms didn’t improve after stopping. I’ve had joint issues too, and acupuncture only gave me mild relief. For my knee, I personally went to Dr. Burrus knee doctor Austin and found his practical approach helpful. Maybe a hand therapist or an orthopedist who understands aromatase inhibitor side effects would be a good next step. You are not alone in this.

Yes I came off Letrozole after a few months for many reasons including being unable to use my hands.

The biggest impact has been from taking a basic supermarket brand magnesium supplement. I’m starting to sound like a magnesium zealot but it really has been a wonder supplement for me. Until recently I took Omeprazole for reflux which depletes magnesium. Letrozole does the same. Anyway my hands are only slightly creaky now, I no longer need to regularly squeeze a ball and they don’t throb. Leg cramps have also stopped and my whole body no longer seizes up.