June 2018 Radiotherapy

Like MellyL I have 2 to go (15 total) slightly different from some on here as I had a masectomy so they are doing the chest wall.

I have been using Aloe Vera and I have a nice 4-6 inch square ‘tan’ slightly pink scar which I have had to up my stretches to stop this tightening so much but ok skin wise.

I have my zaps mid morning so mostly I have gone to work driven to have my rads and then back to work, sometimes leaving early around mid afternoon after my 8th I got hit by a brick wall at work and so on the Thursday & Friday only did a couple of hours in the morning. I have and will do the same for my last 4 as work have said take what time I need, which does make a big difference.

Drinking plenty and also exercising as the best for fatigue is going for a walk ( my partner had prostrate cancer 4 years ago and he walked for 1 hr a day without fail and this helped him deal with any fatigue - he had 35 sessions). So even though some afternoons legs feel full of lead going for a walk has dealt with that and then just feel tired.

Hope everyone starting their rads or just started goes though without to many or no problems - hugs all round

Thanks Sunflower! I feel reassured reading these entries tha I am not alone - I have a ‘verification ‘ appt on tues, then start rads 18th. I too have found the position painful on the shoulders - been swimming backstroke to practice! Very helpful reminder about the fluids - thankyou all! X

So I’m signed off work but feel very very guilty.
To that end I’ve been working at home today on the laptop. I can’t help it as there is so much to sort out…
I’m not sure what I’m meant to do or how to handle all this.
Im going to see how I feel after the first couple of sessions as I’m sure most of my problems are emotional and worrying about the unknown.
Roll on Wednesday when i can get the first session under my belt.

Loz. Got the message lol. You will be fine. I’m off now for number 4. I moisturise 3 times a day one being when getting dressed straight after treatment. Plus drinking 2 litres of water through out the day. Constantly peeing but that’s fine. My motto is “go with the flow, trust the medical staff and drift with it, as you will travel safer that way. Have. A good day all.

Just had number four eventually. Machine down so all had to be slotted inbetwen the other 3 machines. Hour wait so had to ha e review appointment cancelled till tomorrow. So tomorrow I have ct scan, treatment, review so could be there a while. Quite achy tonight as seemed to take for ever to measure up then again for start of image and zapping so arms, shoulder and neck quite achy and took ibrpofen prior to stop my back going into spasm. They did tell me it could be the build up so if worse is to come I can’t say I m looking forward to it. Going to start doing more arm excersise in the hope it helps. Waiting for iprorofen to wear off so can take some more. Other than that I feel fine. Could it be different team, different machine and not so relaxed maybe. I did tell them afterwards that it didn’t quite seem right somehow. They said was all measured and positioning was exactly the same which I am sure it was. Lots of people in there due to machine down but boy the men do moan lol.

Can anybody answer my two questions from the 9.6.18? My post appears to not to have been seen? ?

Can i ask what breast cording is??

I’d forgotton about my tattoos!! They are literally the same size although I’ve no idea if they are meant to line up or not.

2 sleeps to go!!

Hi jencat and well done. One heck of a trip! I try not to use the word journey! Ring that bell out loud. Now time to start moving forward with the new norm. In 16 days time I will be in the same situation and know what you mean by not having that support there and routine will be hit big time so can only imagine it will be a shock to the system in a way. I have signed up for a moving forward course but doesn’t start till November. Hoping I might not need it as got plenty to do in planning daughters wedding as it has been put on the back burner this last few month but need to started on it so hopefully that will help. Again it is going to be the “one day at a time” situ for a while. Anyway good luck and enjoy.

Good luck this morning Jencat. I’d guess by now you will be done??
Walk away and never look back x If it were me I’d now go and find a cafe and have a huge fryup!! Only because its not the done thing to drink this early ??
Now for you to get on with planning that wedding xx

Thank you 

Awww Jemcat bless you. I would will be just the same I am sure.

Last rads done today, yeh it is such a good feeling ???then went out to lunch to celebrate.

Now the count down starts for my reconstruction in 12 months and the decision of who what and when.

Good luck everyone with there rads over the rest of this month ?

Thanks Ladybowler

First one done.
All over before i really realised what was going on.
Time will yell ?

Lilacmoon I also had my first session today!  Was a bit overwhelmed to start with and blubbed again, but once I was on the bed it was okay…they said I can bring in my own CD to listen to if I want ?

Now I don’t know if this is psychosomatic but I am really thirsty! Been drinking lots but mouth feels parched - anyone else had this so soon?  I know they say keep well-hydrated but I wasn’t expecting a thirst…

Good luck everyone going through and just starting your rad treatment.

I had 15 sessions and had no problems until the 7th day as I had a nausea afternoon due to taking my Tamoxifen in the morning rather than at night and this did knock me sideways just a little, just completely ran out of steam and had to go home from work.

I then only worked a couple of hours in the morning and then went home after my treatment, felt tired but made myself go out for an hour with the dog and after 15 mins walking felt better.

Still drank tea but also lots of squash to keep hydrated, the one day I didn’t drink enough I did feel tired.

My last week my legs did feel heavy in the afternoon and so left work mid afternoon and again Thursday and Friday I went straight home after treatment.

I used Aloe Vera on my skin and in the afternoon Forever Living Aloe First ( which we always use as after sun) and this was great, before going to bed I used Forever Living Aloe & Bee Propolis cream. Have my rad tan but. no problem with my skin at all.

I had a masectomy and my scar on my arm side is lumpy bumpy and tender but apparently this is normal and this should go down in the next few weeks. I have a seroma under the side of my scar and my drain site which is bruised which I hope will go down also.

Any questions please ask, but hope everyone goes though smoothly with as few problems as possible.

Hi daisiemoo. Thanks for your experience and advise. I have some forever living aloe on standby in case I get sore I am using on my nipple at the min as it feels a bit tender. It’s like a waiting game with each day getting up and seeing how you feel. Semi prepared for the se’s. Number 7 for me today. Have a good session everybody and get used to how you get on that bed I was in and out yesterday within 1 song!! That was focusing on getting on the couch and almost lined up straight away. Will do the same today and hope it works again!!

Feeling rough this morning, no energy and I ache everywhere. Driving myself today as well, roll on lunchtime when I can take a nap! 

I actually got to the stage where a song would come on and I would hope I was able to,listen to it all the way through especially if it was a favourite LOL most days it just finished except when they had an issue with the programme / machine ?

David Bowies Space Oddity played today. Session was a little under the length of the song!!
Can’t believe how quick it takes.
16 to go…