June 2024 chemo starters

Hi @emammi :wave:

Iā€™m starting chemotherapy on o9/08 and was wondering how the cold cap worked for you. Did you get any headscarf? Been looking online but to be honest i donā€™t like what i see ā€¦

The chemi bag you spoke ofā€¦ what goodies did it have?

Apologies for the questions butni thought to ask wjo has already been where i am nowā€¦ and what are boiled sweets???Again my apoliges but Iā€™m really clueless.

Jope youā€™ve been well x

@bettyb24 ā€¦ itā€™s definitely not easyā€¦but we are all made of strong stuff ā€¦ we have to be going through this :muscle:t3::muscle:t3:

You look FABULOUS by the way!! :heart_eyes: And more importantly glad youā€™re feeling comfortable with your new look! I know what you mean about others ā€¦ I clock a few people staring at me now and again ā€¦ but thatā€™s their issue not mine :woman_shrugging:t3::rofl:

Thanks for the tips about the scalp care ā€¦ Iā€™ll look into that moogloo. Iā€™ve also been using my sonā€™s baby shampoo and aveeno body wash ā€¦ Aveeno stuff is fantastic ā€¦ my skin has never felt so soft!! Xx

2 Likes

Hi Lola, So glad it looks like the cold cap is working for you. So sorry though about your fall. Thinking of you. Take care. Sunshine21

@lolac Iā€™m so sorry to hear about your fall. Take care and I hope youā€™re feeling better soon.

@lolac ā€¦ ouch ouch ouch :weary: hope you have a speedy recovery!

I now have v little hair ā€¦ itā€™s slowly gone and my boys kindly said that I wonā€™t ā€˜need a mask for Halloween nowā€™!! Cheeky!!! Iā€™m not brave enough to go out without a hat so well done those of you that embrace it all x

Think I may have to try some of the scalp recommendations from you all - who would have thought your head would be dry and itchy ā€¦ arghhhhh

Today I have become the synchronised diving expertā€¦ I LOVE the Olympics :two_hearts:

7 Likes

@alig1961 ā€¦ why did they send you to hospital? Not taking any chances??? Slightly concerning that going to hospital is an actual risk !!! Glad you decided to leave!

xx

1 Like

I am at the end of my third week - third EC chemo on Monday- and I canā€™t stop stuffing my face with crappy food :see_no_evil::pig:

2 Likes

Hi All
They sent me to hospital because they said I was experiencing chest pain which was radiating to my back which I knew was bad indigestion. They werenā€™t taking any chances but they were prepared to sit me in an acute medical assessment unit with no white blood cells and no air flow, open door or window for 5 hours. I wasnā€™t taking the risk. I know that they are acting in my best interest but I know what bad indigestion feels like and I wish theyā€™d have listened to me. I hope I donā€™t have a black mark against my name now. :crossed_fingers:
Iā€™m just heading to north :wales: for 3 days in the campervan. I have every head attire going. Just trying to debate what to throw on my head as I walk over to the showers.
For sore scalp Iā€™ve been using aloe Vera with tea tree oil from Holland and Barrett. Itā€™s really soothing and cooling. I love it.

Enjoy the :sun_with_face: everyone.
:heart:

4 Likes

Iā€™m loving the bald pics @donna_51 and @bettyb24. Iā€™ll pop one on too when I take my wig off, but got it looking ok at moment. :joy:.

1 Like

Ive got this too -Aloe Vera & tea tree gel too.
Its lovely.

Itā€™s also really good for insect bites as Iā€™ve found my body really over reacts to these now but this gel helps

Happy Sunday everybody xx

1 Like

@pat ā€¦ Iā€™m the same!!! I have a 2/3 days post treatment when I canā€™t eat much or everything tastes odd but then itā€™s all cravings for proper stodgy, fattening carbs!! I woke yesterday dreaming of Greggs veggie sausage rolls! I have no idea where this comes from as Iā€™m not even sure Iā€™ve even had a Greggs s.roll beforeā€¦ luckily there isnā€™t one too near us otherwise I may have been outside first thing shouting for them to open!!! :joy:

I guess technically itā€™s our bodies asking for stodge to support what weā€™re going through so letā€™s not feel too bad ā€¦ plenty of time for healthy living in 2025 :smiling_face::two_hearts:

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Im glad Iā€™m not the only one! My cravings are all for sweet stuff - a lifelong sweet tooth :roll_eyes: I have found that I am off my food for about a week and canā€™t eat until about 1pm, so I have a homemade banana milkshake which sees me through. In the 3rd week then I get the crap cravings :rofl: This morning, for breakfast :see_no_evil: I had half a packet of Oreos, a couple of Party Rings and a pack of mini Jammie Dodgers. As my husband remarked, Iā€™m going for the Big Girl snacks today :flushed::rofl::woman_facepalming:t2:

2 Likes

OMG re the fall. Not what you need right now. I had similar break/ fracture a few years back and you have to wear your brace and take it easy. I got a spare brace from Amazon. The old facture was spotted on my petscan recently - Iā€™d forgotten about it. Please be careful and be kind to yourself.

Continued good luck with the hair and cold capping. Mine coped well during paclitaxel, fortunately my tumour didnā€™t and shrank a lotšŸ˜¬ No idea how either will react to AC - cycle 2 this weekā€¦

The vegan sausage is worthy of a craving.

Mine is carbs too. Wondering what to expect this coming week on cycle 2. I hate weigh in day :face_with_peeking_eye:

Thanks @jbb and others who sent kind messages. I am mostly just relieved to be home, but also now sinking in all the things I wonā€™t be able to do. Summer was limited, as it is for all of us, because of chemo, but at least I could get out for local walks/restaurants/theatre etcā€¦Hopefully my ability to tolerate sitting and standing will improve in the next couple of weeks! Fortunately the hospital always find me a bed for chemo as my existing back problems made that easier!

Thanks again and take care all xx

4 Likes

Sat in campervan and allowing my head to have a little breather. Today I have worn my wig for 12 hours, thatā€™s a record. Glad to get it off now though. Hope everyoneā€™s had a lovely sunny Sunday.

10 Likes

Thatā€™s the one thing that worries me about my wigā€¦ getting hot. As soon as I put a hat on I get hot. I think is last five minutes, I even get fed up with my own hair.

I often wonder when is the best time to start treatment: winter - hats are OK but you canā€™t go anywhere because of the risk of infection indoors and summer - the UV, hot heads, heat and nausea, heat and sleepless nights, but at least you can meet up with people outside when youā€™re up to it.

Iā€™d still prefer a luxury hotel/ chemo clinic for six months and to emerge like a butterfly

4 Likes

Yup. Luxury hotel with chemo that doesnā€™t involve cannulae or side effects, individually controlled heating/air conditioning, totally comfy chairs and unlimited snacks consisting of only carbs :rofl::rofl::rofl::pig:

4 Likes

@jbb your message was so useful to read :two_hearts:

1 Like

Totally on board with the luxury chemo hotel idea!

I also found that my sense of smell is super heightened this week. Good thing is that I can use it as an excuse for the husband to do the bins more frequently :rofl: Bad news is that food that Iā€™m craving often either taste disappointing because there is something wrong with my tastebuds/sense of smell urgh!

1 Like