Just been diagnosed

Hi,

I was told last Thursday that I have breast cancer - Is it normal
to have stabbing pain in the chest / breast every so often?
I guess some of it is down to stress as I just have outbursts of
crying and getting upset. Also I dont know why the doctors cant give
a surgery date during these biopsy results - it would just ease the
stress a little.
Any tips on how to cope ? as I am finding it really hard at the moment and dont know how I am going to cope going to work on Tuesday - I’d be a nervous wreck !!

Sharon

Hi Sharon
sorry to hear your news. I’m not sure why but a few days after dx i also had strange sensations in my breast, let the dog out early one morning when it was cold and my nipple hurt when it became erect, also had other stabbing pains, it was very weird. I’m now 3 weeks post mx, if u have any other questions pls ask away and i’ll help if i can.
Sharon xxx

Hi Sharon,

I think a lot of ladies report pain with bc. - even though it’s not supposed to be painful.

I had and have pain. some days it goes off and other days it is quite bad. I am awaiting a mx, when I have finished chemo,

As to coping I found I tried to focus on 1 thing at a time, 1st the diagnosis, then the CT then the MRI. otherwise I think it might be all too overwhelming.

I think it is normal to cry, feel shock, numb etc. I was diagnosed in Feb and I still feel shock and still cry. On Fri, just gone I cried the whole day practically the next day, I felt a little better. I expect we all go in and out of these states. It’s to be expected.

I should go to your GP or phone your bcn nurse for advice as to where your treatment plan is up to and for emotional support and your GP may be able to help to.

Please don’t suffer on your own. These professionals are here to help us. Also the ladies who write on here have kept me going when I get really down.

Best Wishes

WS

Hi sharon, it could be the stress and anguish, i know how you feel, i was devastated, still am, going to work is the easiest way hun resume normaility, i went off on the thurs after finding out on the weds, it is hard but you will find strength hun…they will give you a date as soon as the results come…iam still waiting for mine…hugs…xxx

hi ladies, i have been haveing pain too waiting for my op on wednesday i am also putting it down to anxiety its a awfull time for everyone but i am finding this site helpfull the strenth of these ladies is brilliant stay strong everyone …

Hi
Was diagnosed with stage 1 grade 3 BC 2 weeks ago and had lumpectomy and sentinol node biopsy last week (purely because there was a bed available, not because it was urgent). Get results on 16th April. I was having brief, occasional stabbing pains for some time before I found lump - just assumed it was hormonal and ignored it. With all the support I’ve been given and the short time span, I haven’t been too stressed, however, as Monday is getting closer I am finding myself brooding on the worst case scenarios - waiting for dates, results etc is definitely the worst time. Hope you get your surgery date very soon and wishing everything goes well for you. xx

Hi bayley and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the shared support and experiences will find here please feel free to call our helpline,our team are here to offer you a listening ear and support during this worrying time. The lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 9-2 Sat on 0808 800 6000

The following link will take you to the BCC ‘Newly diagnosed’ information page which I hope you will find useful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis

Take care
Lucy

Hi just been diagnosed today, Friday 13th (bad omen)with DCIS low grade which is positive really, as caught this early I am a glass half full kind a woman.Difficult time for me as my step dad just died of non Hodgkins lymphoma last week & funeral on Monday this was a shock as he was treated and alleged cured in December and I went with him to all his appts. Feel numb right now as if this is happening to some one else. My husband supportive and told my 15 yr old son, but not my 11 yr old daughter or my mom until after the funeral.My appt in 2 weeks and will be in touch with BC nurse next week after the funeral is over.

hi ladies, i had my pre op assesment on friday now waiting for the guide wire on wednesday morning then my gamma scan then my op just so want it to come around quick this is such a emotionall rollercoaster just want it all done, then more waiting for the results in 2 weeks but i find reading other peoples comments makes me see just how strong we all are speak soon ladies x

Hi catwoman2012, I also found out that I have breast cancer on Friday 13th (last friday). Wow, its mind blowing and I’m sorry to hear about the passing of the step father. I’m not from the UK, just Trinidad and Tobago (an island in the Caribbean) but after I found out about it, I decided to talk to as many people as I could and look for as much support as I can. We need to fight this thing head on and beat the crap out of it. I’m 34 yrs old, married for 10 years but no kids. I cannot imagine your situation with your children. Maybe we could talk and if you have a FB account and don’t mind to friend me then let me know and we could message each other on it.