Just newly diagnosed

Hi Brenda,

Just thought I’d send you a wee message to say I hope your surgery went well. I hope your not in to much pain. I’ll try and post a wee message when I can just so you know I’m thinking about you. Sending big hugs xx

Hi Steph J, 

Just a wee message to say hope your getting on ok.

I had a massive meltdown the other day, but feeling a bit better now.

Let me know how your doing.

Sending big hugs xx

Hi Sudzi 

Hope this message finds you in good spirits as its a couple of days since you put your thread on , sorry Iv been off line . 

Well my heads a bit mushy , my news is kind of good I think ? I have a 59mm x 25mm area of low grade DCIS , pre invasive and part of the 59mm has suspcious cells too  that they dont know what they are …so bit confusing . Area too big to take without leaving me with a deformed booby … plus nipple will have to go .So surgeon asks me what thoughts I have … I say well as Id already been told I had widespread calcifications …widespread is widespread so didnt really think there was much option than to have a mastectomy especially as it had already been mentioned as worst case scenario … surgeon said she was glad  Id come to that decision by myself and she was happy to do a mastectomy . But went over the other issue of low grade DCIS being on trial and as it is contained within the ducts , could take the wait ,  observations and see what happens .But I cant take that option  because there is not enough evidence …what is there to wait for ?? Also the suspicious cells …and without taking the breast tissue and sending to histology …no sure way of knowing whether there is any high grade DCIS in there as well . , So Sudzi my head in a bit of a spin … very good news  no invasive cancer has been detected  but the double edged sword is that I actually cant be certain of that until after the mastectomy . So really Im bit back to square one not really knowing …its all a bit of a roller coaster . Outcome at present is after surgeon examined me she felt I would be better with a procedure that she does not do so she has referred me onto another surgeon . Back to waiting for another assessment . Feelin blessed that I am being looked after for the best outcome for me , It has been made clear to me though that the 2nd surgeon will make their own decision to what they feel is right for me too .So all I can hope for is that this is not going  to go on for too long . Breast nurse did ring me on Thursday to let me know that the referral had been received by the other hospital and  I should hear from them soon . So that in a nutshell is where Im at …Hope that makes sense . ps Not quite sure how Im supposed to feel , Im not complaining because you and the other girls seem to be going through hell and the diagnosis appear to be much more serious than mine is . I just still feel quite overwhelmed but I shouldnt be because at this moment in time Im a very lucky lady xx

Hi Brenda,

I hope your doing ok.

Sending big hugs xx

Hi Sudzi 

Yes Im ok , still got mushy head . I feel I should not be on here as you and the other girls are going through so much worse . I feel bit of a fraud but its so calming on here I cant help but have a little look . I have a double appointment on Wednesday next week to see surgeon and plastic surgeon . So will have plan then I hope and no anti climax again as in the last time when I  was not expecting to be referred on to other hospital . (  Not sure if you can mention hospital names on here ) But Im going to be seen at a unit with an impeccable reputation so yet again another reason why I  feel blessed  - someone  must be looking after me . The only dread is if they ask for  3rd biopsy from  the suspicious cell area … that had to be the worst thing Iv ever experienced in my life … I could have cried my eyeballs out ! 

Anyway hows you ? any more thoughts on your wig … dont know why you worried about it . In this day and age you can be anyone you want to be and change your image daily if you want , I imagine the biggy is its ok having the choice to change your image and this is enforced . …a huge difference . I would be so upset if I lost my hair but I had coffee with a lady who diagnosed with BC two years ago and she underwent chemo , she is an inspiration I have to say . But when I said Id been told I probably wouldnt need chemo she said she had been told the same but following the breast tissue histology and the presence of other abnormalities she did . And went on to lose her hair . Her comment to me was if it happens dont worry about it , it grows back thicker anyway . And she has got lovely hair , grey in colour but it looks in fab condition so much better than mine . She said whatever you have have to face turn it into a positive . So I have thought quite a bit about what Ill do if that happens …thats me Im afraid Im planning stuff and it may not be necessary . But I do anyway . So I concluded Ill embrace the challenge and maybe experiment with different headresses …and if not Ill do a Tom Jones " and leave your hat on " . Quite like hats anyway . So Suds… where are you up to at moment …let me know .Big hugs and fairy dust for you xxx

Sudzi hope you ok today after your chemo big hugs xxx

Hi Sudzi

Iv looked on here a couple of times to see how youre doing …Hope all going on ok xxx

Hi Steph J,

Sorry for not being in touch but I’ve been up and down emotionally, bust with work etc.

I’m sitting just now with tears running down my face as my hair has just started coming out in big clumps. I really didn’t think it would bother me this much but it does.

After the first round of chemo I had a terrible headache for a few days. I don’t know if it was due to chemo or stress of the last few weeks leading up to chemo.

4 days after 1st chemo I had a viral infection. I had big boils on my face and neck and really sore throat, so I had to to all this checked out with cancer clinic and GP. Had to watch for changes in my temperature so had to to buy a digital thermometer. A few days later my scalp started to hurt, small blisters came up and my scalp was stinging. That’s probably why my hair is now falling out. I’ve not felt ill so I think I’m lucky. I can cope with all that’s been going on so far I just get a bit emotional a lot more than usual. 

Sometimes I feel such a wimp about stupid things like my hair, I mean it’s only hair, it’ll grow back.

I will call the wig place when it opens and hopefully I can go in today and get the rest of my hair shaved off and my wig fitted properly. I’m sure I’ll cry then as well.

Enough about me. Let me know how your getting on with your surgery etc

Sending big hugs x

Arhh Sudzi 

So sorry youre having a rotten time , the blisters sound so painful and yes dont blame you for leaving wig off till recovered . Keep me posted I am interested …does that sound odd ha …not meant to . Im learning so much on here . I dont speak to many people as I feel theres too many girls on here so much worse than me and I dont feel worthy . But I read the threads and god how I wish I could help … in my mind I send as many hugs and fairy dust that I can . 

Im just waiting now and working through the weeks till my surgery …it seems to be a long way off even though it isnt . Iv actually got a soreness in my breast now that I didnt have , I thought maybe I was imagining it due to subconscious stress , but its def not … But its coming off soon so Ill put it with it till then . 

Not sure if I mentioned but Iv gone back to work until my node biopsy . Might as well and then Ill just go into sick after that . Iv got a to do list and so far Iv managed to get my living room painted and my friend has put hem on my new curtains … couldnt bear the thought of visitors coming with the way it was lol … I was meant to do it in the summer but my daughter and her kids moved back home and I thought sod it Im not decorating till theyve gone …flipping typical ! The old saying Never put off till tomorrow what can  be done today springs to mind . Anyway next week agenda … sort out credit card balance onto 0% and sort out bits of paperwork that Iv been putting off . Doesnt sound much but Iv been putting these things off which is typical me . 

Im glad to hear that you put “your hat on” and went out …good for you x And I dont blame you for crying because your hair came out so would I . A lady who spoke to me had had chemo and lost her hair …said " If you have chemo and lose your hair dont worry about it …it will grow back thicker " She said always try and turn everything into a positive no matter what " .And I guess thats all any of us can do …although easier said than done for some people I realise . I cant really make statements like that with my diagnosis …thats what I meant by not feeling worthy . But I have used her advice to deal with other issues that have been difficult lately. Anyway Im off now so speak soon … if you feel up to it and you havent been already …go and see Bridget Jones it will cheer you up … I havent belly laughed to a film for ages …it was hilarious . Take care hugs and fairy dust xxxxx

Hi ladies, just thought id mention that I have lost my hair several times during the last 16 years since my diagnosis…this last time was a bit worse for me because I liked my hair just as it was and really didnt want to lose it!

anyway, i now have a lovely wig… They do itch but have bought some wig caps to wear underneath it. They stop it itching and help keep it in place.

the wig caps are like tights, eg made ogf the same material. I also hav some elasticated headscarves which i actually liked myself in, but of course its getting colder now.

best of luck with your treatment, all of you.

love and hugs,

Moijanxx

Hi Suds 

Yes Im hearing you and what you said . I guess youre right … but if my comments made you smile then  they werent so daft afterall ha . And I will stay on here now youve pointed out the reasons why I  should and I will keep you updated and yes its good to talk even if it is  through a  screen lol .

Flippin heck I certainly didnt forsee any of this at the beginning of the summer . Thought I was having a good time  …met a nice bloke who I was enjoying myself with …and even when the kids were driving me nuts I was having plenty fun so I took all their problems in my stride and thought hey ho . But here I am chatting/writing away all by myself  ( bloke took off ) weeks away from having my breast off …and its like Im having a tooth out …am I mad . Its sooooooo bloody surreal . My son is distraught and cant bear the thought of what Im going through …my daughter says Iv ruined any chance of them putting together a surprise gathering of some friends for a get together meal before my op … because I  let it slip Iv got so many things planned and Im so busy right up to op date … They think Im abnormal ha . I think Im perfectly normal .

Anyway enough of my  waffling hope you get those blisters sorted and can wear your wig …what style and colour did you choose by the way ?? Steph xxx 

You have a good way with words Suds … and yet again I hadnt thought about it in the context that you have …so well said and I couldnt act normal if I tried ha . 

Glad you like you like your wig …youre going to need it now Winters coming . Id need a thermal lining if it was me …hate the cold . 

Anyway hope all goes well with your next lot of treatment . Im not going to have much to report until mid Nov … But Ill be on here stalking you ha … only joking but I will anyway . 

Big hugs …take care xxx

Hi Steph,

Was up at hospital yesterday to have bloods done. Was told that I have lost two grams of haemoglobin, they’ve said that’s why I’m getting breathless and tired. So they’re checking it out and if it doesn’t come back up I might need a transfusion. 

I feel a bit better today so I’m hoping this cold is on its way out.

This Friday will be my 3rd round of chemo. I have to have 3 rounds of FEC, then 3 rounds of T. I’m just concentrating on when I’m done on Friday, I’ll be half way through _ yippee !!

I hope everything goes ok with your operating. I’ll keep my fingers crossed. Sending big hugs. Let me know how your getting on.

Hi Steph, good to have. The op out of the way! Hope you are feeling better now…the anaesthetic will take a little while to get out your system also, you had a lot of things to think about pre op, so now theres an anticlimax? Enjoy a bit of pampering if you canxx

Sudzi, well done with the chemo…so glad its going wellish. Good to know you are half wayxx

hugsxx

moijanxx

Hi Sudzi, We have not spoken for some time but I have just seen your post. I am so sorry you are having such a bad time. We were diagnosed at about the same time and I have been following your progress. I am recovering from my double mastectomies but having trouble to get a bra that works well with the prostheses’, I am thinking of you and hope you will be feeling better soon. I send all my love and hope that 2017 is much kinder to you.
Lots of love, Brenda xx

Hi Sudzi, I tried to send a hug but it has not worked! I want you to know that I am sending lots of hugs to you.
Brenda xx

Hello everyone! I’ve been a ‘lurker’ on here for the past couple weeks, gathering information and reading all the positive stories from you amazing ladies!

So yesterday it was finally confirmed that I had invasive ductal bc. I’m 33 years old, no children, and honestly just don’t know what to think! I found a lump 3 weeks ago in my left breast, no idea how long it had been there for as I don’t  check myself :( 

i have an op on Monday to check if it’s gone to my lymphs, then I’ve been told I’ll need 6 lots of chemo every 3 weeks, followed by a lumpectomy/rads or mx. 

I feel relatively calm which is weird, but I’m absolutely petrified of the chemo. The advanced practitioner I saw 2 weeks ago after my us/mammos said they were 90% it was bc and to prepare myself but said it would be an op and tablets! So there was me, thinking I’d be swerving the IV way… I’m a woman who takes great pride in her appearance (hair, lashes, nails) and I’m going to lose all that. (I’m sorry if it sounds vain, I’m really not!) 

Plesse tell me how you cope!! 

Laura x

Hi Zena

sorry I have no idea if I ‘reply to thread’ or just ‘reply’ !! Thank you for your lovely response. I have a feeling that you ladies are going to keep me going through this. My parents have been amazing taking me to all my appointments, my friends are a bit cheerleadery… ‘you can do this, you’re strong’… bla bla bla! 

This time really is the pits, when the whole journey is ahead of you, and you have absolutely no idea what’s going to happen! I don’t  even know what stage it’s at.

im looking forward to hearing from the other girls xx

Hi Laura - sounds very similar to me although I haven’t yet got my type diagnosed yet (get that on 10th) as was told “yes” it was BC after my ultrasound. I also never checked my breasts (not regularly anyway) and was picked up on mammogram after trial screening for under 50’s. I’m not sure yet what my treatment will be but now at the worse case prepared for the hair loss - never been able to grow my hair anyway as so thick people would have to side step me to get past. ? As far as nails go not had those for years either due to being a midwife and not allowed - for obvious reasons ouch - unless on 2 weeks annual leave when we dive to the nail salon for temporary gel nails! I’ve found this site brilliant, very supportive and actually hilarious at times. In fact my husband has just said “who are you on with now?” my reply being “'my new found family” ? Keep your chin up and keep us posted x