kidney mets

Hello I was wondering if anyone else had experience of a kidney met.

I already have mets in my lung, liver and bones but don’t seem able to find people with kidney mets.
I have just had my chemo changed from Iv to oral (xeloda) and was hoping for any advice as it is a tad painful and what may happen if the growth blocks off my ureter.

Any help welcomed
Lanny

Hi Lanny

Sorry I can’t help you with experience of kidney mets. Have you actually been diagnosed with kidney mets? You say you have a lot of pain, so I guess you have. I have had a lot of pain in the past in my kidneys (I have had a great deal of urology problems in the past) I have been quite worried that I would have problems in my kidneys if anywhere, but I was led to believe that it is very rare to get kidney mets.

I don’t have any medical expertise, but I know of people in my family (same hereditary problems!) who have had parts of their kidneys removed. Would you be able to have surgery to remove the growth? It is possible to survive with one kidney, so surely part of it could be removed without any adverse effects?

Sorry to hear that you are in pain, I wouldn’t wish kidney pain on anyone!

Take care and I hope that you get things sorted asap.

Nicola

Thanks for the reply Nicola,

it has been diagnosed as a met in the left kidney near the ureter. I’m not sure about surgery due to the need for our kidneys to remove the chemo. I think a stent is a possibility.

I’ll just have to wait and see what happens
Lanny

Hi Lanny,

I assume that having been diagnosed with the kidney met that your onc has spoken with either a nephrologist (kidney dr) or urologist (bladder and ureters. When talking of normality, both kidneys whilst working are not working “flat out”, so if one is needing to be removed for whatever reason, the other one usually “picks up” the slack and works to keep the blood chemistry normal.
This would be the case with you, yes you can be stented to relieve the obstruction, but should the met become large, then the kidney could be removed. As you quite rightly say, kidneys are needed to clear the blood of the toxins and waste products created by the body, as long as your kidney function from the remaining kidney is normal then there shouldn’t be too much of a problem. I would assume you drs would communicate with one another and you may find that the kidney drs would like a slightly reduced chemo dose or more fluid rehydration prior to the therapy. Regular bloods to check kidney function should also be more often.
If I can help in any other way. please feel free to contact me - I have 26yrs experience in kidneys and dialysis.

Regards,
Maggie (marjay12)

Hi lanny

As well as the support you are receiving from the other forum users you may find it helpful to talk things through with a trained member of staff on the BCC helpline. Here you can share your concerns with someone who will be able to give you emotional support as well as information. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9 to 5pm and Sunday 9 to 2pm.

I hope this helpful.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Hi Ianny,
I have just seen your post; I too have mets in bones, liver,stomach and kidneys; I actually forgot about the kidneys with everything else that has happened w mets in my eye etc.
I had to have a tube inserted to my left kidney 6-7 wks ago; they wanted to do both kidneys but couldn’t get passed my liver. I have a bag in my back/side that collects urine but stil have to go to pass urine normally on the right side.It has been causing a little bit of bother to have the tube with infections twice etc but that was the option at the time. While hospitalised this week the decision was made to put stents in asap which to me will be great as I dont have to bother w the bag and also wil be able to have a bath aso.I can have a shower now.I hope they put the stents in asap.
Hope thjis is of some help to me. Send me a pm if you like. I don’t very often come onn line as I find it quite tiring to sit by the pc. but wil try to look in abit more often in the next few days. Love and good luck. Beatrice.xx