Ladies and gentlemen to have or not have chemotherapy?

Just wondering what people’s opinions on this might be? I am at intermediate risk of distant recurrence of breast cancer (12%) and chemo adds another 4.8% to my survival rate. I am unsure whether to take it because some of the side effects are grim as I’m sure you all know.

So my question is…is it worth it? I probably wouldn’t have it if it wasn’t for vascular invasion on my pathology report. My tumour was Grade 2 with 2 positive lymph nodes. My Godmother got sepsis from chemo and two people I know got diabetes. But is this just extreme and actually most of the treatment is bearable? I am curious because I have to make the decision in a couple of days. What are people’s experiences good and bad?

Sending love to all the cancer survivors and thrivers xx

4 Likes

My several tumours were grade 3, no node affected. Oncotype score 31. Chemo was recommended. I’ll be having my 3rd of 6 doses on Friday, followed by RT and 5 years Letrozole.
If I have recurrence I don’t want to regret not doing these things now, aged 57. If I have thrown everything at it I can do no more. I know many people, including family, who have lived many healthy years after cancer, and I intend to do the same.
There are side effects to chemo, but if I can live with some discomfort for a few months to live a long happy life I will go with it. So far I’ve lost my hair, I have 2 days out of each 3 week cycle when I barely leave the sofa, I have about 10 days of horrible taste and smell. They are short term and I will get better.
I know that age and quality of life has to be taken into consideration.
I hope you can come to your own conclusion for yourself and how it works for you x

2 Likes

Thank you so much really helpful x

I have found the side effects to be completely manageable. I have worked throughout, just pacing myself in the first week. I take paracetamol for a few days for joint pain and I have lost my hair. (I had been hoping to cold cap but needed to switch medication due to an allergic reaction). I have been a bit more tired than usual so have the occasional nap in the afternoon early evening.
I have not needed any anti-sickness tablets, nor noticed any change in appetite, bowel habits or anything else people warn you about.

1 Like

I was Grade 3, estrogen & HER2 positive with nodes clear. I had 12 weeks of Paclitaxel with Herceptin with it every 3 weeks. I lost my hair & had bit of hand & feet neuropathy (helped by slow and short walks) after my 10th week and was tired for the rest of day after chemo. I found I felt pretty normal the rest of the time and carried on pretty much as usual (retired but pretty active). I was surprised how well I felt most of the time as I’m allergic to a few things. It wasn’t really a decision for me as my consultant told me having chemo with Herceptin doubles the effectiveness of the Herceptin which in itself is a game changer. Good luck whatever you decide.

1 Like

Do it! I was exactly the same, 2 lymph nodes affected and vascular invasion present. Please understand that means a much higher chance of cells going elsewhere in the body and chemo is a systemic treatment so imho you should go for it. I cold capped throughout and kept most of my hair and made sure I took things easy as I did feel tired. But I had no loss of taste, no infections etc and got through it fine. It is doable. I think anyone with lymph nodes affected would usually be advised by their oncologist and team to do chemo. I’m so glad that I did it, as isitreallyme said better to throw everything at it while you can. XX

4 Likes

Nearly 5% is quite a lot of extra protection in cancer terms so, unless you are extremely old or have underlying health conditions, I would go for it. And I say this as someone who has had surgery, chemo and radiotherapy, but has rejected letrozole and its alternatives.
Chemo is not a nice experience but the important thing is it is doable. You go in 3/4 week cycles and I had 2/3 days when I felt complete rubbish, a week or so when I was out of sorts but okay the rest of the time. Yes, you lose your hair and chemo takes a lot of time what with the blood and Covid tests and the PICC line and other (exciting) events, but you get in a groove, put one foot infront of the other other and plough on. I got back to normal fairly quickly and I am 72 and now have a full head of lovely hair and, apart from a decrease in energy, am now leading an active and enjoyable life.

I had a bad experience with bisphosphonate infusions and letrozole made me feel grim 100% of the time so I have abandoned both. This was a considered judgement because I rate quality of life over longevity, but I had the knowlege that I’d thrown everything at it in the early stages. You must weigh up what is right for you but personally I would go with the chemo if it is being offered.

2 Likes

Hello Newbie1.
Chemo is out of my treatment now, so I am saying this based on what I think rather than experience.
Being under 50 years old with no other health issue that I know of, for 4,8% extra chance of survival I would do it.
All the best to you.

1 Like

Thank you so much. I’m going to go for it!

3 Likes

Yea me too! I’m going for it. Nervous but hopeful x

3 Likes

Quite right. After speaking to another oncologist my cancer is right at top end of Grade 2 so chemo is a definite x

1 Like

I will do! Looks like starting on 6th Feb. Am so grateful to you and everyone who has put time in to tell me of their experiences xx

2 Likes

Thank you for replying. So grateful. Am going for it!

2 Likes

Brave you!
I will be here always ready to read you and make some company.

1 Like

Good for you.
Make sure you join the Feb monthly chemo starters. It’s like your own little group within a group.
Good luck with it x

1 Like

Chemo I’m sure saved me ,I been here 23 yrs 24 in June .
I read my notes saying this lady probably won’t be here in 10 yrs .
I took everything offered to me .
Treatment is so advanced now .
I wish you good luck.

1 Like

Hey,
I had my last chemo end of October last year…yes it was awful and I’ve not recovered yet, I did say if this came back would I go through that again I would seriously consider other options, BUT …it did work and I’m still here so if I had to go through it all again I would…I can’t tell you what to do but I say Do or Die!
I do feel I would be better prepared next time though as would know what was coming.its a hard decision that only you can make, I wish you luck in what ever journey you decide to take,

These are not easy decisions. I agreed for a sample from my original biopsy to have a genomic assay done on it and the result indicated that I’d benefit from chemo, as it would reduce my risk the risk of recurrence from 33% to less than 15%. I was surprised with that result because I thought at the time that I’d reached the end of hospital appointments. Nevertheless I went through the chemo: 3 cycles of Epirubicin & cyclophosphamide followed by 3 cycles of docetaxel, and today is the anniversary of my final cycle. Yes I was able to work from home, with the odd sick day, and I don’t suffer any serious long term side effects now, but it was not in the walk in the park either. The powerful anti sickness meds helped me stay only mildly nauseous in the first 3 cycles. Cycles 5 and 6 were the most difficult in terms of energy and I had a night in the hospital here and there because of a low neutrophils count once and contracting COVID from my husband another time. My hair has been slowly growing back and now a year later looks like a curly pixie cut with more grey than before (so I cover it with bright red). I’m glad to have done the chemo to have a sense that I’ve done everything for the best for my health!

1 Like

As someone who quickly developed secondary cancer following vascular invasion, I would be on the side of having chemo. My secondary cancer happened despite me having chemo - but if I hadn’t had the chemo I would have been thinking “if only”. All the best, whatever you decide.

1 Like

If you don’t mind me asking, how was it awful? Nausea? Etc just want to be prepared!