Larger lady advice needed DIEP Reconstruction or not?

Being a larger lady (size 20/22 ) and needing a double mastectomy (a long operation in itself ) but wanting a reconstruction, I was advised against reconstruction at the same time but to to separate the operations and have a reconstruction later.

I was ok with that as it would give me an opportunity to try living flat and see what life is like with prosthesis. I might decide not to bother. That op was back in Nov 2022.

However my scars are awful, nothing like the neat and flat scars you see depicted on those TV ads for Breast Cancer Now or Macmillan adverts. I have hollows and lots of puckered skin across my front but also in folds under my arms which are ugly and uncomfortable. Even the softest of bras rub and the prothesis just sink into my hollows !!

I have been told I need a tidy up operation anyway, but will need to make a decision about a reconstruction as I cannot have 2 ops. I am therefore very interested to hear of any larger ladies DIEP reconstruction experiences as I know I don’t want implants.

As a larger lady I understand there are risks to operations some of my size issues are due to lymphedema which I have on my thighs resulting from a previous cancer operation 30 plus years ago where they removed groin lymph glands and so its a risky op to have a double reconstruction with tissue from my stomach, but my life now is not good, its uncomfortable and I am very self conscious especially in summer clothes and swim suits. I love swimming but don’t go publicly anymore.

Am still undecided but I have to have an op even if its a tidy up so should I go the whole way?

I understand there will be alot of pain as there was with the mastectomy but what about the tummy area, are there drains in there too? how was healing managed what were the practical issues I need to consider given my tummy will be ripped open and stuck to my chest !!

I was advised to have a mastectomy first and then reconstruction, which im still waiting on two years later.
I have 2 autoimmune diseases, so to have everything at once, would put too much pressure on my heart.

Regards to being a larger lady, splitting up the surgeries is much safer; again with the anesthetic and recovery time.
If you have a date for reconstruction in place, then at least you can make the most of your mastectomy recovery time and be better prepared for the reconstruction.