Latissimus Dorsi - LD reconstruction

Hi, this is to ask whether anyone has recent experience of latissimus dorsi muscle breast reconstruction? I have had chemotherapy for 5 months, radiotherapy for 3 weeks and will now have a double mastectomy plus some form of reconstruction. (I have BCRA 2, so one cancerous breast and other breast preventative). I would prefer to use own tissue, stomach and thighs are not possible (previous surgeries). So my back is the only option. Question is, is this a mistake? My physiotherapist calls it ‘barbaric’ and strongly advises against. Feeling confused… Does anyone have recent experience of back flap reconstruction?

1 Like

Dear Maks,

So sorry to read you have so much going on. I don’t want to dishearten you, but I think your Physiotherapist has given you excellent advice. I had the surgery about six years ago and quite honestly I’m still not right.

I do hope you get sorted with the best reconstruction for you. This is such a big decision, but I’m sure you’ll make the right one.

Wishing you lots of luck with your surgery and health and happiness going forward .

Please come back and let us know how you’re doing when you’re feeling up to it.

Biggest hugs Tili :pray::rainbow::pray::rainbow:

1 Like

Thank you Tili. Hope things get resolved for you soon.

1 Like

Hi there i had ld flap 10 years ago and still struggling now please see my earlier post
Mazzyp