LCIS and radial scar

Hi there
After an abnormal mammogram last month, I attended a breast clinic for further investigation. Although I was nervous, I was quite confident I would be fine as I had absolutely no symptoms. To cut long story short, I ended up having 2 core biopsies (one on each breast) done late that evening as the radiologist felt this was needed from the ultrasound. After two weeks of worry, I was reassured last night that there was no cancer, however I have LCIS on one breast and a large radial scar on the other. The consultant suggested I should now have a MRI before making any decision. Having googled far too much over the last month, I was prepared for the possibility of tamoxifen but the consultant seemed to suggest last night that my options were either do nothing or have a double mastectomy. My husband was with me and he felt that the consultant considered a double mastectomy would be best option. I have had a ductal papilloma removed in the past as it was causing bloody nipple discharge- I don’t think that is related, however.
I will see what the MRI shows and then make my decision. I don’t want to over react, however this last month has been really difficult and I am not sure I want the worry of regular checks, more biopsies and the dreadful waiting.
I am conscious that I am very lucky that nothing too sinister has been found. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice? X

Hi Kelly0406, 

I am sorry you are going through this anxious time and I am sure some of our users will be along soon to share their experiences.

If you would like to find out more you could take a look at our pages on LCISand Surgery.

In the meantime please do call our helplineat 0808 800 6000 who will be able to talk to you about what you have been experiencing and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below.

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday 9am-7pm,
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 


Hi Kelly


it may not be what you want to hear but try not to worry until you have had the mri and results of that.  The worst part of this situation is the waiting for results, no matter which thread you go on you will see this is what upsets us and sends our minds into overdrive.  You should be able to contact your breast care nurse to chat through any worries while you are waiting or you could ring the helpline here - they are wonderful I have personal experience of that when I have rung in absolute sobbing tears whilst waiting for my results and they help you put everything in perspective and calm you down.



Thank you very much for your reply Bondgirl.
I had my appointment a couple of days ago. The MRI didn’t show anything. Now the consultant wants to do an excision biopsy on both sides and this is scheduled for the beginning of July.

He confirmed to my husband that this operation is to make sure nothing is hiding but also that it will do nothing to reduce my risk of developing BC which he said was 50%.

I am nervous about going through this op (mainly cos it involves an overnight stay which makes it seem worse). Mainly though I am just concerned about the future and the uncertainty.