Ld flap reconstruction

Hi all, i’m due to have a ld flap recon sometime in feb. I work as a gardener and really can’t afford to be off too long so i was wondering if anyone could share their experiences of how long recovery was? I’,m a single parent to a seven year old too so how long you were actually in hospital for would be useful , thanku x

I’m a secondary school teacher and went back to work in 5 weeks…I’m told that was good going. I had to be careful to not intervene in fights etc for a few weeks. Strength came back steadily. one job that still gets me is pulling down a heavy car boot that is over my head, with the effected arm…but I can.
Hospital for3 days.
Big job but worth the outcome.
I wish you all the best and mt thoughts are with you…my 6th anniversary was nov 13.
Sarahx

Hi Herbidacious.  I’m due to have a bilateral LD flap recon in March.  The surgeon says I’ll be in hospital at least a week and he said I’d be off work for about 3 months.  I was really encouraged by Sarah’s comments as I don’t want to have that much time off but I’m going to have to pay attention to what my body is telling me.  The op is going to take about 7 hours, with 2 surgeons working on me, so I would hate to spoil all that hard work.  I hope all goes well for you and you are pleased with the result xx

Dont rush it - is it your dominant side?  I have struggled because the lymph node removal has really affected my movment and strength in my dominant side.

I will now be off 4 months post op - because my job involves young children and a lot of lifting and carrying of resources.  If it had ben my other side, i may have goit back earlier - but my non-dominant side is so uncoordinated it is stupid!

Hi Herbidacious1

Here’s the link to BCC’s publication on reconstruction which I hope you find helpful

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/breast-reconstruction-bcc7

If you would like to talk to someone in confidence about reconstruction options then please don’t hesitate in contacting our helpline staff 0808 800 6000 calls are free, 0808 800 6000.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator